Light exposure -- how much is too much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StickyWicket

Reaction score
Haven't been brewing that long, but all my brews have been in buckets. So, never had to worry about light. But got a few glass carboys for my birthday and immediately brewed up a 60p scotch ale. The carboy is not covered and while I've enjoyed watching the fermentation, I'm now suddenly concerned that I may have damaged my beer due to light exposure. It's in the basement, so no real exposure to sunlight, but there is a flourescent light on down there nearly all the time. It's been in the primary for a week now. Is that enough time to skunk it? Or should I chill out and put a sweatshirt on it when I get home?

Chill out. Direct sunlight is the most damaging. If you're not hitting it with direct sunlight you should be fine. I would suggest you cover it though. Better safe than sorry.

Not much you can do about it after a week anyway. Cover it when you get home and see how it turns out.

Strong fluorescent lights can skunk it as well so I would definitely try to keep it covered next time.

I'd give the airlock a good sniff to reassure myself of the absence of skunkiness (wasn't that a movie?), relocate the carboy to a place out of direct flourescent light, and shirt it.

BTW, exactly what kind of uh... herbs.... are you growing down there with the lights on all the time? :)

When your beer has a skunky flavor to it you know you've got some light exposure. If it doesn't then you'll be fine. Either way you'll make beer! Just try to keep a t-shirt on it next time. Dont forget to relax and always drink a homebrew. :mug:

Back