More Beer Thanksgiving (Pumpkin) Ale Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eman24dx

Reaction score
I did a little searching and couldn't find any reviews on here about this kit.

Has anyone ever tried this one? If so thoughts, comments, which yeast to use?

Just trying to line up my next few brews and will be starting a simple pumpkin soon. I noticed NB has a "Smashing Pumpkin", and MW has a similar kit same price but I would like to use free shipping from MB if possible.

Thanks,

Well I went with the more beer kit and plan on brewing this tomorrow. Has anyone tried this? If so did you stick to the basic recipe or add anything? I think I will add a can of pumpkin to the boil. If so when and how should I add this?

Appreciate any help...

I made Midwest's Pumpkin Ale a few weeks back. I added 2 cans of pumpkin to the boil. I sprinkled them with pumpkin pie spice and baked it at 350 for 40 mins before adding it. After it was done fermenting, I wasn't crazy about the level of spice, so I boiled a cup of water and added 2t of pumpkin pie spice and 1T of pure vanilla extract. I added the tea right to secondary and let it sit another week. I tasted a test bottle about a week after bottling and it was fantastic. Reminds me a lot of Pumpking. I think the only think the pumpkin did was give it an orange tint and create a lot of trub. The spice was what really changed the flavor. So that's what I would play around with. Just do it a little at a time. That pumpkin pie spice goes a long way.

The spices that came with the kit I thought would not be enough but after reading a lot of horror stories on people who actually use pumpkin I decided to stick with the spices and just add some additional cinnamon. The sample tasted AMAZING! I want to create a Pumpking at a lower ABV and think I might have done so.

How long did you leave this in the primary? Did you adjust spices along the way or before bottling?

Well, now that its been a couple of weeks and I've tried a sample, I suggest doubling the amount of spice or adding it to the bottling bucket instead of secondary. There is little to no pumpkin spice flavor now that its settled and carbonated. Next year I will use 4t of pumpkin pie spice and add it on bottling day. Trial and error I guess.

I just racked mine into a keg. I bumped the OG up to 1.055. I didn't add pumpkin. I did add 1 tbs of McCormick pumpkin pie spice to the keg. I did this last year and it came out great. I sugar coated the rims of the glasses with brown sugar to kick it off.

Southern Tier Pumking is a imperial and very hard to replicate. As well as a big long beer to brew. I don't think there is a kit out there "nor a real recipe" that is close.

Did you rack onto the pumpkin pie spice? I want to keg and add a tea of 2-4T pumpkin pie mix and some vanilla extract but how do I get the flavors to mix in together?

I want the flavor of Pumpking with around a 5% ABV. My current sample just has a faint hint of pumpkin. I dont want to overpower the beer but I want to know what I am drinking at the same time.

I've finally kegged my More beer thanksgiving ale. It's amazing. I did the extract version and it is by far the best pumpkin ale I've brewed. I've tried Midwest, AHS, and NB.

The MoreBeer version blows them out of the water. I added Libbys pumpkin to the boil and I added more spice to the boil, secondary and keg.

Reminds me of Shipyard/Wasatch.

Love it!!

Back