Convert this for an extract brew...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JuGordon

Reaction score
I was wondering how I can convert the grain bill here to an extract brew to get the right color, feel, ABV, so on and so forth. Any ideas? By the way, it's the Two Brothers Cane and Abel Red Rye recipe. (from one of the brothers himself)

Pils
Munich 3%
Crystal 10 8%
Rye 12%
Crystal Rye 3%
Melinoidan (Aromatic will work) 3%
Black Malt less than 1% for color

First wort hop with Summit and Columbus 40 IBU
30 minutes left with Summit 12 IBU
25 minutes left with Columbus 8.5 IBU
20 minutes left with Simcoe 7 IBU
Dryhop with Simcoe about .3 oz/gallon

Thai Palm Sugar added before start of boil. (.15 lbs / gallon)

Mash mid 150's
Boil 75 minutes
target starting gravity 1.072

How much pils?

Quantities of hops?

I would figure a straight conversion for pils to LME. Next, I would crush and steep the rest of those specialty grains.

Do a google search for the specs on "Two Brothers Cane and Abel Red Rye critique". If you start a thread with that title, you may find links referencing it at the bottom of the page.

You should try to target the IBUs, SRM, and ABV

I don't know all of that info. It is the recipe that they use at the brewery. I really don't know how to work all of that back to get the quanitity of the ingredients.

I'll try a google search and maybe try a thread as well. Thanks, dude.

I was wondering how I can convert the grain bill here to an extract brew to get the right color, feel, ABV, so on and so forth. Any ideas? By the way, it's the Two Brothers Cane and Abel Red Rye recipe. (from one of the brothers himself)

Pils
Munich 3%
Crystal 10 8%
Rye 12%
Crystal Rye 3%
Melinoidan (Aromatic will work) 3%
Black Malt less than 1% for color

First wort hop with Summit and Columbus 40 IBU
30 minutes left with Summit 12 IBU
25 minutes left with Columbus 8.5 IBU
20 minutes left with Simcoe 7 IBU
Dryhop with Simcoe about .3 oz/gallon

Thai Palm Sugar added before start of boil. (.15 lbs / gallon)

Mash mid 150's
Boil 75 minutes
target starting gravity 1.072

I'm not aware of any rye extract being available. You will have to at least do a mini-mash to incorporate rye. The pils could be subbed with either Briess Pilsner DME or Munton's Extra Light DME. Then take rye malt, Munich malt, and the others and mini-mash them.

Ahh, Cool. Yea, I didn't know if there was a Rye Extract. Thanks for the help. I'll have to put that one on the back burner until I get into doing partial mashes.

Thanks for the help, dude.

A couple of friends and I are considering this one.

How much aroma is in the nose?

How much do you taste the flavoring?

I haven't seen this beer in my neighborhood to try it.

It definitely has a very hoppy aroma. Two Brothers seems to hop up a lot of their stuff. (I aint complaining!)

It's got a full body taste, kind of smokey and spicey I would say. It's almost sweet at the beginning. Then finishes bitter. It's got a nice dry, bitter finish. The finish is actually the reason that I love this beer so much.

It's got a nice dark red color to it when poured. Brew it, it's amazing!

Back