clearing back sweetened mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedHaze

Reaction score
I have a batch of peach melomel that I just back sweetened last week, and I was looking for some advice on a clearing agent. I was going to get bentonite, but a local mead maker told me that it can and a earth like flavor. Is there something ou there that clears well, but doesn't change the flavor of the mead any?

Thanks for any help.

I use bentonite in most of my wines and I have never noticed any earth flavour...although it's just clay.

I've been using sparkolloid recently and I think it is one of the most effective. I'd go for it if you want to clear in a hurry.

All 3 additives listed above work well most of the time, time usually works but not all the time. The honey has some protein in it which I think causes the haze. Did you add sorbate also? WVMJ

All 3 additives listed above work well most of the time, time usually works but not all the time. The honey has some protein in it which I think causes the haze. -----%----- WVMJ
Spot on. If it's been back sweetened it's most likely to be a protein haze, which can clear as you say.

Personally I back sweeten before I clear now, if I'm gonna use honey as the lees dropping out usually manages to take any honey proteins with it.

Failing that the Kiesol/Chitosan finings should do the trick quite quickly in a couple of days or so....

All 3 additives listed above work well most of the time, time usually works but not all the time. The honey has some protein in it which I think causes the haze. Did you add sorbate also? WVMJ

Yes I did sorbate/c-tabs about 4 days prior to back sweetening.

I used pectic enzyme, it's been in tertiary for 5 months, and this mead was still on the hazy side before I back sweetened it. Think I'm going to order some of that super-kleer.

Back