2.5 gallon secondary container?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MTate37

Reaction score
I will soon be brewing a 2.5 gallon batch. I've read that it is fine to ferment in a larger bucket or carboy as the headspace will fill with CO2 and protect the beer. I will be dryhopping with a fair amount of hops and plan to rack to secondary. Would a 3 gallon carboy leave too much headspace for a 2.5 gallon batch?

I would think that a 3 gallon fermenter and a 2.5 gallon batch would be perfect. You will need some head space for krausen rise and prevent blow out.

I shouldn't expect much krausen and blowoff if I'm dryhopping in secondary, should I?

Looking back at my OP maybe it wasn't clear enough. I'll be fermenting 2.5 gallons in a bucket, and will rack to secondary for dryhopping. My concern is that dryhopping 2.5 gallons in a 3 gallon carboy secondary will leave too much headspace. Is this correct, or should I not be concerned?

You'll be just fine. You'll need space to gently swirl in the leaf hops, and that should release some co2 to drive out the o2 and fill whatever head space you have. Just check the airlock from time to time to make sure you're maintaining some pressure and keeping it floating.

If you are really worried, and if you have the equipment, you can displace the oxygen with CO2. Though, you should be fine. How long was your beer in primary for?

This a beer that I will be brewing this weekend. I expect it will stay in primary for two to three weeks...just depends on how fast it finishes.

Back