Simple tip for beginners - brew more for better beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J187

Reaction score
This may sound obvious, but I really think it's an overlooked, but beneficial practice!

Brew more often! Seriously, not just because more practice brewing makes you a better brewer, but when you have a steady stream of multiple brews, you are far more likely to be patient with subsequent beers. More patience will equal greater results- even if the patience comes about from distraction. When you brew a beer, ferment it, and then bottle it, you are excited to try it. You can't wait. You may find yourself bottling ales after 10 days in primary, putting it in the fridge after only a week of carbing and drinking it after only a couple hours in the fridge. However, when you start another brew as soon as you rack and bottle the first, or even use a second fermenter while the first is still fermenting, you'll develop a nice little back-log of beers - before long, you'll find you've got plenty of beers that have been conditioning for several weeks or more. The best part is, it's not even intentional. It takes the agony out of waiting.

Yup getting a pipeline of beers going is a must I brew every week or twice a week but I´ll have to slow down by the end of the year I already have more beer than I can drink conditioning, and if I keep going like this I´m out of bottles kegs and storage space.

I brew every other week and give away at least 25% of my brews, and that keeps a good pipeline. My kegerator only holds two brews anyway!

I do about every other week too. And when I have enough full batches floating around fermenting/aging/waiting to be drank I'll do a small batch BIAB style for fun. Probably a bigger beer of some kind. Or a test batch of something.

Another good way...bring in people who are interested and teach them. You would be amazed how much you learn by speaking and showing your process to others. Plus it shares our hobby.

Good thread!

Brew twice a week? Good Lord - you have to drink 14 beers a day to keep up with that supply.

Brew twice a week? Good Lord - you have to drink 14 beers a day to keep up with that supply.

Last week I brewed 18 gallons a 12 gallon and a 6 gallon batch. My friends drink a lot of my homebrew, of course they contribute in a little tip jar that I keep at home to buy grains and hops.

Man... 18 gallsons... are you married? My wife is already pushing back about me brewing a second batch before the first is done!

My wife is already pushing back about me brewing a second batch before the first is done!

Tell your wife she can't buy any more shoes/clothes/shampoo/makeup until what she has are all used up! ;) (<--- That's not the WINK smiley, that's the black eye sok454 will receive for following my advise).

My SWMBO had a dream last night that there was someone in the attic that crawled around low to the ground like a racoon, and woke me up at about 4:30 a.m. saying that I had to get up there to check it out. When I told her no, she demanded that I hire an exterminator to examine the attic today. I haven't gotten my black eye yet, but it's coming! Sadly, better than a $150.00 exterminator bill....

Yeah I´m married my wife helps me a lot and she is a hop head so I always have to have IPA and hop burst APA ready to drink for her.
Last week I tought about resting for that week and she actually encourage me to brew her IPA (I build a recipe just for her).
I guess I´m lucky she enjoy beer much as I do. I am a happy man.

sok454 said:
Man... 18 gallsons... are you married? My wife is already pushing back about me brewing a second batch before the first is done!

Just bought my first kit and the wife is upset that I spent so much on equipment alone!

Just bought my first kit and the wife is upset that I spent so much on equipment alone!

That only happend to me once and the wife was rigth, I spended €200 in hops and grain for a day after that spend €100 in craft beer (having a lot of homebrew ready to be drinked and two batches ready for bottling) That was the only time she got mad only for that afternoon at nigth I took her out for a nice dinner and that was it.

Now I know some people wonder why anybody would brew smaller than 5 gallons but hear me out.

It seems most of my friends are BMC drinkers or drink mixed drinks so I was the lone craft beer drinker and forget about them even trying my home brew. Hey, I think I need new friends:D So when I was brewing 5 gallon batches, I had A LOT of beer on hand. About 5 years ago, I started brewing 2.5 gallons which is about 24 bottles. Perfect for just me. I could brew more often and a wider range of beers and styles. Now I starting to try 1 gallon brews. I get to brew even more often and really experiment with ingredients. If I find something that works then I may try to brew it as 2.5 gallons.

The best part is I'm brewing and experimenting A LOT more which is why I got into this hobby in the first place.

Wow, some of you might be breaking the law with the amount of beer you're allowed to brew legally per year lol

I bought another fermenter last weekend just to keep more things going at one time.
Filled it the next day!

im gonna have to back off began brewing in august and have made 10 batches so far, im running out of room lol

sok454 said:
Must like that Black Butte Sharpie... nice rifle cartridge there.

I do! And it's a popular one with friends.

If I would have checked the level of the other keg, I would have moved something else ahead on the rotation though.
I don't like only having one type on tap.

I need about six more kegs!

Yep, the various sharps cartridges are fun shooters.
I need another one in a new caliber.

Back when I got started last April, the second question I asked was "why 5 gallon kits?". I mean WTF am I going to do with five gallons of beer!!!!

Today, I just received my third fermenting bucket from NB, plus a lid for my bottling bucket so I can use that as a fermenter in a pinch, I'm on my 8th and 9th batch of beer (Cream Ale and AK47, respectively), I've got one five gallon of Skeeter Pee maturing and I just genned up and put 6 gallons of JAOM in my third fermenter this afternoon.

I'm down to about 3 cases of 15 x 25 oz bottles of my last two batches (Cream Ale and AK47 as well), so I'm about to run out!

So, yea, I with you on the pipeline deal, I'm there!

Back