1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love it!!
I brew stove top using the BIAB method, brewing either 1 or 2 imperial gallons at a time. I then tend to bottle in some killer 750ml swingtops that I've got. It means I get through the beer pretty quick, but the main reason for brewing small batches is so I can brew more often and try more recipes out.
:rockin:

Well, if you would normally use 1 ounce, or 5 ounces or whatever in a 5 gallon batch, then you would use 1/5 of that.

Nice, can you do it in the primary? I'm afraid of losing beer at the bottom if I transfer to a secondary.

Anyone dry hop in a one gallon? How much did you use?

For IPAs and other hoppier brews I tend to add 14 to 21 grams, but I have added 28 grams to a double IPA and it turned out very nice with some great aroma. If you use pellets you don't have to worry about loosing too much beer, just account for it in your boiling volume and you are all set.

Yesfan said:
Couldn't just use a blowoff tube and not worry abou the airlock? Either that or go with a 3 gallon carboy?

I actually don't use an airlock for my 1 gallon batches. First time I did one, I forgot to get a stopper so I just used sanitized foil. After it worked fine, I just kept doing that and have never had an issue. (knocking on wood)

Quick question (or two).

The norm seems to be that brew ingredients are scalable. If you're using a 1/5 of the ingredients, does that also mean fermentation (both primary and secondary) would also be 1/5 as long compared to a 5 gallon batch of the same thing? I don't expect the fermentation time to be exact, but assume it wouldn't take as long as a 5 gallon batch would. What about boil times? Would it still be for 60 minutes or is it not as long since you have a smaller amount of ingredients in a smaller amount of water?

Sorry if this is off topic.

Boil time and fermentation time should still be the same. Fermentation time might be okay a little shorter but dont rush the beer of those yeasties!

It takes the same amount of time to boil and ferment whether you are making a 1 gallon batch or using Stone's 120 Bbl system. Life's just not fair...

I like the idea of doing 3 small batches at a time, starting with the same wort but experimenting with different yeasts, fruit/cocoa/coffee/spice/honey additions, amount of dilution, sugars used and more importantly aroma hops. I haven't got there yet though, but it seems like a great way of doing batches in 1 gallon demijohns without losing much time on the boil.
Counter productive on space saving mind, but the variety and also the getting results of the experimentation might be worth it.

Thanks everyone. I'm pretty patient with fermentation,so no worries there. I have a nut brown fermenting now, and plan on leaving it in primary for 3 weeks, instead of the recommended two. I was just curious if the other stages of brewing also differ from batch sizes.

I like the 1 gallon route the more I think about it. I'm thinking about some recipes from Small Batch Brewing, Brooklyn, and NB. There's not as many recipes as I would like compared to 5 gallon recipes, but as my experience improves I could always scale down if need be or (better) split a 5 gallon batch to a 2.5 gallon keg and the other 2.5 gallons to bottles.

Even though I have only two batches under my belt, I know I just like brewing. So for me, smaller batches means more times to brew. There's just too many positives for me when it comes to small batch brewing.

There's not as many recipes as I would like compared to 5 gallon recipes.

Remember, recipes are guidelines, not set rules. Feel free to take a recipe that looks good, and modify to suit your needs. I do this all the time, mostly when I don't have precisely the same ingredients as a recipe calls for.

Scaling down 5 gal. recipes is fairly straightforward (just divide by 5...) and, as long as you can accurately measure hops at such small amounts, you're good to go!

Also, does anyone have experience with priming tabs? I just started using them, and they make priming 1-gallon batches WAY easier. I still have to wait a week to find out if they work as advertised...

Remember, recipes are guidelines, not set rules. Feel free to take a recipe that looks good, and modify to suit your needs. I do this all the time, mostly when I don't have precisely the same ingredients as a recipe calls for.

Scaling down 5 gal. recipes is fairly straightforward (just divide by 5...) and, as long as you can accurately measure hops at such small amounts, you're good to go!

Also, does anyone have experience with priming tabs? I just started using them, and they make priming 1-gallon batches WAY easier. I still have to wait a week to find out if they work as advertised...

That's what I intend to do. I'm not so worried about scaling down when I get into all grain. I can see myself scaling down grains and just crushing what I need, and saving/preserving the rest for future batches.

Extract is what worries me as a lot of those kits have LME. I know it could be done, but seems it'll be messy as hell trying to do that and (from what I've read) LME doesn't keep as long as vacuumed sealed grains.

The ones I have are from Brewer's Best/LD Carlson. They seem nice because you can adjust carb level (3 tabs = low, 4 = mid, 5 = high). I haven't done anything in bombers because I was unsure of priming rates. I guess I'll just double the number of tabs.

And yes, bombers are 22oz.

2012 Home grown harvest ale!
2 row, C-10, Biscuit, Cara-pils and local honey! Hopped with my home grown Cascade/Mystery hops!

ForumRunner_20120915_170554.jpg

NoHawk said:

Priming tabs work great for small batches. Some times I will even do a 3 gallon batch and use 3 different yeast so I can see the difference. Using prime tabs is easy. Just drop them in the 12's or 2 in a 22 oz bomber.

Yesfan said:
That's what I intend to do. I'm not so worried about scaling down when I get into all grain. I can see myself scaling down grains and just crushing what I need, and saving/preserving the rest for future batches.

Extract is what worries me as a lot of those kits have LME. I know it could be done, but seems it'll be messy as hell trying to do that and (from what I've read) LME doesn't keep as long as vacuumed sealed grains.

If you know the ingredients that are in the kit, substitute the LME for DME. it's much easier to stick DME in the fridge/freezer in a vacuum bag or ziplock.

Alot of LME kits seem to suggest adding sugar up to 5 gallons - on their own they only really make a few gallons, so you can always split them into two or three 1 gallon demijohns and make some similar but different somethings a bit stronger than originally suggested.

How do you split a Wyeast bag of yeast to use in a 2.5 and a 1 gal batch? Then, how would I keep the balance of the yeast?

this is the only issue I've really run into doing 1 gallon batches. Because of it, I don't use Wyeast bags (yet at least) but just finished fermenting a batch by pitching 1/2 a vial from white labs, and just capping the rest for my next batch. It seemed to work out just fine.

I thought about just splitting up a Wyeast bag into a mason jar just like how one would save yeast from the yeast cake, but haven't try anything yet. Does anything else do this?

this is the only issue I've really run into doing 1 gallon batches. Because of it, I don't use Wyeast bags (yet at least) but just finished fermenting a batch by pitching 1/2 a vial from white labs, and just capping the rest for my next batch. It seemed to work out just fine.

I thought about just splitting up a Wyeast bag into a mason jar just like how one would save yeast from the yeast cake, but haven't try anything yet. Does anything else do this?

I just use MrMalty. If MrMalty says use half of a Wyeast packet, I simply eyeball a half of it, and dump it in.

Where are some of you guys (and gals) using to ferment your small batches? I called my local Walmart to see if their bakery dept was willing part with theirs. Unfortunately, my local Wally World reuses theirs for their produce dept. I then called my local Bi-Lo and a lady there was willing to save me three 2 gallon buckets (w/ lids). I have some other things I need to do, so I'll pick them up on the way back. I also ordered some S airlocks from Amazon (link)

Just thought I would share this with some of those that want/need some extra fermentors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where are some of you guys (and gals) using to ferment your small batches? I called my local Walmart to see if their bakery dept was willing part with theirs. Unfortunately, my local Wally World reuses theirs for their produce dept. I then called my local Bi-Lo and a lady there was willing to save me three 2 gallon buckets (w/ lids). I have some other things I need to do, so I'll pick them up on the way back. I also ordered some S airlocks from Amazon (link)

Just thought I would share this with some of those that want/need some extra fermentors.

1 gallon carboys and 2 gallon buckets are readily available online and in many LHBS. Large wine bottles work as well.

I have 3 of these:

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_33_464&products_id=13464

^^^ Mine look just like the one in the AHB link, except they were free. ;) I just need to drill the lids for the grommets and I'm set. The Bi-Lo lady told me to come back Wednesday if I needed some more. I figure 3-4 should be plenty for some small batch brews.

question on 2.5 gal batch,

can I use a 3 gal Better Battle carboy as a secondary vessel?

should I be concerned with the extra .5 gal head..

question on 2.5 gal batch,

can I use a 3 gal Better Battle carboy as a secondary vessel?

should I be concerned with the extra .5 gal head..

It'll be a little more than .5 gallon since Better Bottles are actually larger than their stated size. But it shouldn't be a problem at all. I've used mine as secondaries no problem. My batches are 3 gallon post-boil and I siphon almost exactly 2.5 gallon after fermentation.

Yesfan said:

I have picked up 2 gallon and 3 gallon buckets from the bakery dept at Raleys and Safeway. Had to go into the same store 3 times before the worker would even look at one but the persistence paid off. I also use 2 plastic milk containers when I do a 1.5 gallon batch and just split it into the 2 milk cartons. Works great. I'm sure glad I did that with the last saison I tried because I didn't like it. I gave it away to someone who loved it...lol

No you store it and use it again.

The best way to use liquid yeast is to make a starter, use the amount you need, then store the rest of it in sanitized containers (many of us use mason jars) in the fridge til you need it again.

ahhh, I was going to say. That stuff ain't cheap! Cheers :mug:

ahhh, I was going to say. That stuff ain't cheap! Cheers :mug:
If you plan on re-using yeast I would highly recommend the book: "Yeast: The Practical Guide to Beer Fermentation" by Chris White and Jamil Zainasheff. It has some great information about yeast rinsing, washing, culturing, storing, etc...it is an invaluable resource. Cheers!

gwdraper4 said:
If you plan on re-using yeast I would highly recommend the book: "Yeast: The Practical Guide to Beer Fermentation" by Chris White and Jamil Zainasheff. It has some great information about yeast rinsing, washing, culturing, storing, etc...it is an invaluable resource. Cheers!

Aha. More for the library. Thanks!

I'm usually a 3-gallon small batch brewer but since I had some extra space and I seemed to have plenty of yeast from my first attempt at yeast watching, I decided to test out a 1-gallon recipe. I was amazed at how fast the wort cooled. It actually threw my routine off, I had to let the cooled wort sit while I finished sanitizing the carboy.

I'm usually a 3-gallon small batch brewer but since I had some extra space and I seemed to have plenty of yeast from my first attempt at yeast watching, I decided to test out a 1-gallon recipe. I was amazed at how fast the wort cooled. It actually threw my routine off, I had to let the cooled wort sit while I finished sanitizing the carboy.

I know what you mean...by the time I'm done making my ice bath the wort is cooled...I actually have to move pretty quickly or the wort gets into the 60s before I can even measure out my yeast

Back