Beer Test

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoubleAught

Reaction score
So my daughter is applying for a job at a locally owned steak house. They also serve a nice selection of beer. Inside the application is a test to see if the applicant knows anything about beer. Of course she doesn't, but knows I do. The questions were all multiple choice but to the normal person would have been fairly difficult. They asked what the difference was between a porter and a stout. One asked which beer was heavily hopped and shipped to soldiers in India originally. Another asked about a style that originated in Czechoslovakia. A couple over pale ales, probably 10 questions all together. Of course I educated her as I helped her take it.

I was honored she came to me to ask instead of just googling it, but also think its kind of cool that a restaurant/bar want their employees to be educated about beer, and not just serve it.

It's actually from the Czech Republic. It's only called "Czechoslovakia" when they get overrun,& they combine the two. Prague,to be exact. Porter is also the historical precursor to stout. But it's great that they ask those questions. Less confusion later. Cool you could help.:mug:

Yeah there is a brew pub that owns a couple restaurants in town that have all their beers on tap. They have their house IPA that is too piney for my taste. I was pleased to see they had a different IPA on tap one day. I asked the waiter what the IPA was like he said "Yeah its like really hoppy..." no kidding. thanks dude

A refreshing change,certainly. Better than the Beevis & Butthead's behind the bar many times where craft beers are concerned.

It doesn't really seem like much of a test if you are allowed to bring it home and have someone else do it for you or allow you to google the answers. I wonder how many of the people working there actually did this and still know nothing about beer.

It doesn't really seem like much of a test if you are allowed to bring it home and have someone else do it for you or allow you to google the answers. I wonder how many of the people working there actually did this and still know nothing about beer.

There's always one isn't there?

If after you Google what seem like relatively simple things to remember, you can't in fact, remember them... The bar has bigger things to worry about when employing you then your current beer knowledge. ;)

But if you take it home and learn these things, at least you are showing more interest than the fool who doesn't even take the time to google the answers.

If after you Google what seem like relatively simple things to remember, you can't in fact, remember them... The bar has bigger things to worry about when employing you then your current beer knowledge. ;)

Exactly! then what is the point of a test since they have bigger things to worry about? How about giving a new employee a list of what beers they sell and everything that they feel you should know about them to help sell the product. Maybe a reference card or something they can take home or carry with them until they have them memorized.

I wish more restaurants did this. It's annoying to go into a restaurant that touts their craft beer selection that has servers that can't answer the simplist of questions about their beers.

Back