Jack Daniels Oak Barrell Chips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon3

Reaction score
I've been using them for years, they work great.

Lately I've been steaming them in a small collander for 20 minutes, and then I soak them in a mason jar full of more jack for a week or two, then dump them bourbon and all into the secondary. And at 7 bucks for a huge bag, you get a lot of uses of them.

I got that trick from biermuncher.

I've also been dry toasting them lately. I use one of my cast iron pans, get it hot, and then drop them in the pan and move them around for 5-15 minutes or so. They will darken, and toast up really nice. I've just been going by nose more than anything.

I do that, then steam and then soak in jack.

I've been using them for years, they work great.

Lately I've been steaming them in a small collander for 20 minutes, and then I soak them in a mason jar full of more jack for a week or two, then dump them bourbon and all into the secondary. And at 7 bucks for a huge bag, you get a lot of uses of them.

I got that trick from biermuncher.

I've also been dry toasting them lately. I use one of my cast iron pans, get it hot, and then drop them in the pan and move them around for 5-15 minutes or so. They will darken, and toast up really nice. I've just been going by nose more than anything.

I do that, then steam and then soak in jack.

I'm gonna be giving this a go soon. Revvy, how much of these chips have you been using in a ~5 gallon batch?

Hell its $4.99 and is no where near as much wood as a barrell.

1 bag or 2 is my only dilemma.

I'm gonna be giving this a go soon. Revvy, how much of these chips have you been using in a ~5 gallon batch?

Maybe a couple times I've weighed out a few ounces, but I generally just grab a small handful, and pick out the really small pieces (so they don't break down too much and become a choking hazard.) I've never really measured them.

Maybe a couple times I've weighed out a few ounces, but I generally just grab a small handful, and pick out the really small pieces (so they don't break down too much and become a choking hazard.) I've never really measured them.

How long do you usually let the beer sit on the oak?

A week, 10 days tops. I tried it for 2 weeks once and it took 6 months to tame the beer. Thank god oak fades with time, so if you over oak it, it WILL mellow.

Wow, that's great! I think I will taste a handful in my Belgian Pale Ale that I'm brewing with Brettanomyces. I will probably dry hop and oak it at the same time.

Matt, do you have these chips readily available in Zagreb????

No, you can't find them here. But I was in the States around Halloween and brought a bag back with me. I'll be using them in an Imperial Stout that I'll be brewing next week.

Thanks again for the insight.

No, you can't find them here. But I was in the States around Halloween and brought a bag back with me. I'll be using them in an Imperial Stout that I'll be brewing next week.

Thanks again for the insight.

How did this work for your imperial? amount of chips, length left on oak and time it took to mellow. I'm planning on doing the same thing with a russian imperial clone recipe.

Worked out well.

I left the oak in the JD for too long, though, at ~2 months. Don't remember why, but assume I was busy. Added the chips and the JD to the beer, let the chips sit for 6 days before bottling. Used a small-medium sized handful of the chips.

It was never harsh and never had to mellow. Was always a slight note and still is. That RIS is perhaps my favorite beer I've ever made.

I'll be doing this again soon with a RIS that is fermenting now. This time I will leave the wood in the JD for no more than a week and will use a larger handful, then into the stout for a week.

Back