Md summer brew day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As far as I know I should be there. Our work weekend schedule hasn't come out for June yet though.

Could... I am thinking a Green Flash West Coast IPA clone... I have no idea how many guys I threw the offer out to.I remember Mike, Joe and two guys from work. Am I forgetting anyone from teh brewday? I think Jay (whoneedsabeer) is also in...

Here's the IPA Barrel Crew as I understand it (I will confirm as I get replies):

1. Me - Confirmed
2. Madman - Confirmed
3. Digdug - Confirmed
4. whoneedsabeer - Confirmed (may not brew at Joppa on the 16th)
5. Ryan (guy from work) - Confirmed
6. James (guy from work)

The barrel is 30G (based on what I was told - I need to confirm but that looks about right). I have it soaking in a holding solution now of potassium meta and citric acid. It is not leaking or anything so I think it is in good shape. I figure each person will have to put in 5.5-6G of beer that is already primaried to pull 5G from the barrel. I would like to have an additional 5G for top up beer as well.

Here is the Green Flash recipe from Can You Brew It podcast, I will scale it to 12 G and add the beer smith file later:

For a 6 gallon Batch

90 minute boil
SG 1069
SRM 8.8
14 lbs 2 row
1.31 lbs Crystal 40 (GF uses Carastan 30-37)
1.31 lbs Carapils
.5 OZ Simcoe at 90 min (They recommend bumping this up to get about 35 IBU)
.25 oz each of Columbus and Simoce at 60 mins
.25 oz each of Columbus and Simoce at 30 mins
.75 oz each of Columbus and Simcoe at 15 mins
1 oz Cascade at 10
.5 oz each of Columbus and Simoce at 1 min or flame out

Dry Hops-
.5 oz each of Amarillo, Centennial, Columbus Simcoe, Cascade

WLP001, Wyeast 1056

Mash at 152F and Ferment at 72F. Jamil recommends starting at 68 and letting it ramp up to 72F

I'm definitely in for contributing to the barrel.

Of course 19-JUN presents me with another schedule conflict, so I'll have to see about getting a sitter for my kids.

Jay

Just found out I'm able to attend. Whoo HOO!

I also just found some ball lock kegs for $30 each. I'm going to try and get the guy down to $20-25. Anyone interested at these prices?

Let me know.

Jay

By reconditioned, do you mean cleaned out, with fresh gaskets and o-rings? I'm not sure.

The guy I found has an add on craigslist. He's up in Central NJ, and his email signature has both a winery and a brewery's name in it. So I guess he's used them, so hopefully they don't smell like that crappy disinfectant that pepsi uses.

I'll ask him about the status of them.

I'll also make him an offer of 10 kegs for $150, just to see where he is with his price.

Ok - The guy from central Jersey didn't pan out.

But I was able to find an alternative.

How does $20 per sound to you guys? They're in good shape, not re-conditioned though. They hold pressure.

I've got 6 I can part with, but might be able to get more if there's interest.

Weird, I stopped getting email notifications on updates to this thread...

I'll see what I can do about getting more. Shouldn't be a problem by brew day.

I don't have any of the single handle kind, but I'll see if the guy can get his hands on some.

Anyone else?

Weird, I stopped getting email notifications on updates to this thread...

I'll see what I can do about getting more. Shouldn't be a problem by brew day.

I don't have any of the single handle kind, but I'll see if the guy can get his hands on some.

Anyone else?

Hey, new to the forum. Do you still have a line on $20 ball locks? I could always use a few more spares...

Hey, new to the forum. Do you still have a line on $20 ball locks? I could always use a few more spares...

I just took possession of 8 of them. I'm pressure testing them now, and they all seem to be in great shape. Two of the eight are racetrack cornies.

In order of posting ...

Jester - 3?
masonjax - 2 no single handles at this time, i'll see if I can get some.
claphasma - 5

So that puts me a bit short.

HOWEVER....

I'm planning on getting some more. I'm not sure if I'll be able to get them by brew day or not, but I will try.

Jay

I dont need 5 :) I want 5... but Im just natually and greedy and I hoard!

so 2-3 is ok if others get all excited.

Back