Yet another Keezer build begins...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gremlyn

Reaction score
I received my first part through UPS today! I ordered the majority of the parts on Sunday (Dec 27th) and they will be trickling in over the next few days. Here, in all it's glory, it my Micromatic Dual Regulator:
micromatic.jpg

My plan is thus:
  • 8.8 cu ft Kenmore Chest Freezer (BLACK)
  • 7.25" Cherry Stained Oak Collar (2x8)
  • 4 Kegs (for now)
  • 4 Taps, Perlick 525
  • Micromatic Dual Regulator
  • 3-way Air Distributor
  • 2-way Air Distributor
  • Bar top with coffin box, made with more cherry stained oak and some kind of tile or laminate

I still need to go buy the freezer and the materials for the top. Luckily that freezer is $70 off this week, so it's only $295!

Looks like a Zebra Label/ Barcode printer in the back;)

That it is, and it's the bane of my existence... We're going to start printing RFID labels on it soon :( The best thing it has ever done for me it help stand up my regs for the picture :p

Ordered my freezer, Kenmore 8.8 cu ft in black:

It'll be ready for pickup in about a week.

wooooo go grem!

cant wait to see how it turns out.. and what design elements i can steal :D

Ordered my freezer, Kenmore 8.8 cu ft in black:

It'll be ready for pickup in about a week.

Nice choice on the freezer - you're going to love it. Mine showed up in white today from Lowes (they had it on sale, too). And, since they put a little dent in the lid, I got an extra 15% off. I was pleasantly surprised at the amount of space in it. My fiancee - well, maybe I misrepresented the size a bit - but usually they're happier when things are bigger than expected, right? ;)

Nice on the Micromatic Dual regulator. After seeing the picture of yours, I'm kicking myself now for not ordering it. I was thinking about it but decided to cut corners and went with a cheaper regulator. You know the old saying - Buy Cheap. Buy Twice. I'm really hoping to avoid that this time.

Can you post some plans or describe your overall plan? I was sold on the enclosed keezer idea, but I had also considered an upright (black) freezer to convert into a keezer through the door (just easier to move kegs in/out of an upright than a deepfreeze.

I've subscribed because I'm hoping yours might bring me back to the idea of showing a nice sleek black freezer. Good luck and keep up with the picture posts!

NewBrewB, my plan is thus...

The Kenmore 8.8 cu ft freezer will fit four kegs on the floor, and supposedly two on the hump, or one and the CO2 tank. To fit a keg on the hump, I need to use a 2x8 to make the collar to give me enough height inside.

I'm planning on using oak stained cherry for the visible wood. The top will have a 4 tap coffin box, and will be made into a bar-like top. I'll use some kind of laminate or tile to do the surface and it'll be bordered in more oak.

I'm going to try to get some of this modeled out soon, I'll post the drawings when they're done.

I was doing some cleaning of the kegs, and upon close inspection I have to say they are quite a bit more dented that I expected/hoped, but they seem to be intact and they did arrive pressurised, so I know they're going to work just fine. I can't argue much for the price I paid, though chicompany's website says
NO to MINOR Dents or Dings.
I'd say some of the dents are a good 1/2" to 1" deep, and there wasn't a keg I received that didn't have a dent, so just be aware of this if you plan on ordering from them (which I would still recommend: fast shipping, overall solid product, great price). One of the relief valves seems to get stuck open a little if you pull it up, but you can push it back down and it seals again. Might just replace that valve, though I can't immediately see how the valve comes out.

looks like you got a fun project going! can't wait to see the progress. I'm almost done with my 8 keg keezer and have started a thread as well to highlight the progress.

I'm planning on using oak stained cherry for the visible wood. The top will have a 4 tap coffin box, and will be made into a bar-like top. I'll use some kind of laminate or tile to do the surface and it'll be bordered in more oak.

Wow that's going to look sharp when you're done. We'll be waiting on the pictures. :rockin:

... One of the relief valves seems to get stuck open a little if you pull it up, but you can push it back down and it seals again. Might just replace that valve, though I can't immediately see how the valve comes out.

I'm starting a freezer conversion as well and been watching a tonne of "how-to" videos on YouTube. As you would expect there are a lot of "experts". This series, though has a really informative cleaning, sanitizing, and tear-down of the kegs, including the relief valve.

FYI, here's my photos and progress so far. My taps and kegs should be arriving Friday and I can't wait!

Last edited by a moderator:
NewBrewB, my plan is thus...

The Kenmore 8.8 cu ft freezer will fit four kegs on the floor, and supposedly two on the hump, or one and the CO2 tank. To fit a keg on the hump, I need to use a 2x8 to make the collar to give me enough height inside.

I'm going to try to get some of this modeled out soon, I'll post the drawings when they're done.

use alder (poor mans cherry), if you are going for the cherry look its cheaper than oak and you dont have to fill the grain with finish, two or three less coats to achieve the same finish and it looks better in my opinion :mug:

P.S. I envy your regulators been eyeing them for months just waiting for the day

use alder (poor mans cherry), if you are going for the cherry look its cheaper than oak and you dont have to fill the grain with finish, two or three less coats to achieve the same finish and it looks better in my opinion :mug:

P.S. I envy your regulators been eyeing them for months just waiting for the day

Thanks for the tip, I'll take a look for it.

I got the rest of the parts in today and I'm hoping to pick up a 10lbs CO2 tank tomorrow on the way to work. Then all I need is to get the wood and the freezer, which is supposed to be tomorrow as well, just waiting on the confirmation from Sears.

Update! Got my freezer! Can't wait! :D Going to look at wood tomorrow.
IMG_16431.JPG

And my first brew into the keg:
IMG_1642.JPG

IMG_1641.JPG

OK, so I am unfortunately changing plans on this build. For now I am going to go with just the collar and the taps will come through there, like offset to the right. I made the decision after assessing the height of the freezer, and once I put the collar on it, then build the bar top, and THAN add a tower for the taps, they would be about 4-4.5ft off the ground which I consider too high. The issue is that I want to be able to keep a 5th keg or carboy in the keezer for cold crashing and later lagering. I need at least a 3.25" collar to fit the 10 lbs CO2 tank on the hump as well, so I would need some kind of collar. Having the tower would be a luxury, and I consider having the space for the extra keg on the hump necessary, so the tall collar wins.

Speaking of which, here are some build shots:
IMG_16441.JPG

IMG_1645.JPG

(I haven't actually built the collar yet, just cut the wood)
IMG_1646.JPG

I also bought Cabot 'Red Oak' stain
rm_010_Red-Oak.jpg

The collar is together! My wood cutting skills certainly leave much to be desired, I'm going to have to use some wood filler on the corners, but oh well. For my first attempt with the tools at my disposal, I feel pretty good. I'm wondering if the 45* angle mark on my circular saw isn't a little off. Anyway, here is the assembed collar:
IMG_16471.JPG

And what is wrong with your woodworking? I fail to see a flaw.... unlike my wood "skills"

I read this whole thread today when i realized i have the same freezer. i want the SWMBO to want it too. does the feezers thermostat go "up" to a good temp. to make this work or do you need to mod it

I had to buy a controller for the temp, I went with the Johnson A419 form Keg Connection, it's $90 but completely programmable and such. There are cheaper options out there, ChiCompany does one that is analog and not programmable for $36.

i think you may have mentioned chicompany in this thread before, i read about a hundred pages todayand they all blur aftera while, thanks

I had to buy a controller for the temp, I went with the Johnson A419 form Keg Connection, it's $90 but completely programmable and such. There are cheaper options out there, ChiCompany does one that is analog and not programmable for $36.

I got my A419 off of fee bay for $54 a year or so ago.
not to blow you chances but there is on for buyitnow $75 and a zero bid @ $35 currently.

Back