Magic Hat #9

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerhead

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm moving on to brew #2!!

Tomorrow I'm moving my first brew from the primary to the secondary and already it tastes pretty good!

However, on to more important things, BATCH 2!!! For this one I am going to do a magic hat #9 clonebrew and I had a few questions, since this is slightly more complicated than my last.

The recipe starts as follows:

Crush and steep in 1/2 gallon 150 degree F water for 20 minutes:
1/2 lb US 60 degree L crystal malt

Strain the grain water into your brew pot. Sparge the grains with 1/2 gallon water at 150 degrees F.

My question is, WHAT DOES THAT MEAN!!! I dont know especailly what the things in bold mean, but those are just terms I have to figure out. Anyways, I think I saw a couple people who had created #9 so I figured that you guys would be able to help

crush = crush. you only have 1/2 lb., so just use a rolling pin. Just crack the grain, don't pulverize it.

Steep = soak

Sparge = rinse. Again, you only have 1/2 LB. so just using a kitchen strainer should suffice. Cheers.

So just to clarify, is this what i'm supposed to do?

crush the crystal malt and throw them in 1/2 gallon of water at 150 degrees for 20 mins, then strain out the grains using a strainer, and then soak the grains in another 1/2 gallon of water at 150 degrees? Then I add 1.5 gallons to the grain and water mix? from there i just follow a basic ME recipie?

When you strain your grains, leave them in the strainer. Then pour 170 degree water (about 1 gallon or whatever your recipe calls for) over the grains. This is called sparging as the hot water helps get all the goodies out of the grain. If you use a small filter strainer you may need to sparge a little water at a time and then use a spoon to roll the grain about in the strainer so the juice goes down.

You're not dumba$$, you're learning. What I do is put my crushed grains in a grain bag (which are very cheap at the LHBS). But you could use one of those paint strainer bags from the hardware store, or several layers of cheesecloth I guess. I put my grains in there loosely and tie it closed. I put it in the water, (your directions say 1/2 gallon) and heat it to 150 degrees. Temperature is very important- you can use a candy thermometer. You don't want it too hot or to boil because that will extract tannins from the grain. Steep in the water, like a tea bag, as long as your directions say. Dunk the grains around like a tea bag, too. When the steeping is over, lift the grain bag into a strainer over your pot and gently pour 170 degree water (from another pan or teapot) over it to rinse. Then throw these grains away.

Then bring this water in the pot to a boil, to start your boil and adding extract and hops, etc.

Lorena

I did something similar in both my first and second batches. I actually steeped the grains in a separate pot than my wort pot (which I got water in to start pre-boiling).

When I finished steeping my grains, I put one of those kitchen strainer things (you know, the ones we used to pretend we were fencing with when we were, like, five? Am I the only one?) over the wort pot, and just poured the whole thing through it. I also had a tea kettle going on another burner, and poured it over the grains in the strainer, kind of washing them.

I read on some website that you aren't supposed to squeeze or press down on the grains when sparging them.

lorenae said:
You're not dumba$$, you're learning. What I do is put my crushed grains in a grain bag (which are very cheap at the LHBS). But you could use one of those paint strainer bags from the hardware store, or several layers of cheesecloth I guess. I put my grains in there loosely and tie it closed. I put it in the water, (your directions say 1/2 gallon) and heat it to 150 degrees. Temperature is very important- you can use a candy thermometer. You don't want it too hot or to boil because that will extract tannins from the grain. Steep in the water, like a tea bag, as long as your directions say. Dunk the grains around like a tea bag, too. When the steeping is over, lift the grain bag into a strainer over your pot and gently pour 170 degree water (from another pan or teapot) over it to rinse. Then throw these grains away.

Then bring this water in the pot to a boil, to start your boil and adding extract and hops, etc.

Lorena

Thanks for the advice (and the moral support :D ) I don't have a grain bag or anything just yet, so I will probably just use a strainer, and roll the grains around like gonzo suggested, thanks again guys!

Cheers!!! :mug:

Back