Barkshack Ginger Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ALPS

Reaction score
I've been looking up recipies for the Barkshack and have found mixed reviews. More people hate it than like it, it seems. Charlie makes it sound freakin great.

Anyone here brew it? I've got honey and an empty 3 gallon carboy that needs to get fill up ASAP.

I've made it several times. I actually have a bottle that 13 years old and a new batch that's been in the bottle a couple of months.

It's good if you like ginger ale, or ginger flavored champagne.

I recommend it under those conditions.:D

I make 5 gals though.

Bill, do you follow the recipe just as it is in the book? Some have said it's better to use more honey and less sugar. This is supposed to help it mellow a bit faster.

What types of fruit do you use? We have lots of wild rapberry bushes in the back 40 that ripen the first week in July.

I followed the directions in the book except that I only used ginger.

All the fruits are optional and used for different recipes.:D

I've made wild blackraspberry mead before. If you use a dry (not sweet) yeast the beeries and mead will not be sweet. I would not recommend using more than 3 lbs of the fresh stuff. At 4 and above the mead gets a fruit meaty (thick and heavy) mouthfeel.

Latest posts

Back