Safbrew T-58

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Franc103 said:
I'm planning a partial mash rye beer with T-58.

1.045 OG
25 IBU
.59 BU:GU

4 lbs Briess Pilsen XL-DME
2 lbs Rye Malt
1 lb Flaked Rye

1 oz Palisade @30
.5 oz Palisade @15
.5 oz Palisade @5

T-58 @ 64 until FG reached

Just an update that this beer was quite good. Yeast stalled for a couple days around 1.020, but finished below 1.010.

Very fruity, a little spicy, and not excessively "Belgiany."

A great summer beer, though next time I would go with Perle or Saaz for hopping.

I've used T-58 twice now on the same recipe. The spicy came through more pronounce at higher temps. The first time I used it I fermed at a steady 60F and I honestly can't say it was spicy or peppery in the least. Very pronounced banana/bubblegum though. The second time was in the summer and my basement was alway around 73F-75F and that brought out a peppery spicy flavor, but it seem to be drowned out by an even more pronounced banana/bubblegum flavor.

In any case I found them to be delicious because I enjoy that flavor. As I let them age a bit they mellowed out quite a bit. At around 5-6 month it was a very smooth balanced flavor and only the aroma was estery.

This is one of my favorite dry yeast for bigger beers. I'll probably use it for a hard cider this fall.

I've used T-58 twice now on the same recipe. The spicy came through more pronounce at higher temps. The first time I used it I fermed at a steady 60F and I honestly can't say it was spicy or peppery in the least. Very pronounced banana/bubblegum though. The second time was in the summer and my basement was alway around 73F-75F and that brought out a peppery spicy flavor, but it seem to be drowned out by an even more pronounced banana/bubblegum flavor.

In any case I found them to be delicious because I enjoy that flavor. As I let them age a bit they mellowed out quite a bit. At around 5-6 month it was a very smooth balanced flavor and only the aroma was estery.

This is one of my favorite dry yeast for bigger beers. I'll probably use it for a hard cider this fall.

hmm, just used it and tasted after bottling. and i agree with the banana, which i definitely dont remember last time i used it. fermed high 60s, very low esters overall. still like this yeast btw, nice balanced feel

Planning on using T-58 for a wheat ale that has 20% rye malt in the LME, about 1 oz of lavender and some Briess Dark HME. Using Mr. Beer, it's a 2 gallon batch of an Americanized dunkelweiss...

I just used this yeast in a recipe I made up and fermented at 67. Very light esters. I think you should be able to escape strong banana ester if you stay around that number.

Hey, I've got a beer with it going right now, this was my idea. It seems like those going on the low end get a neutral ale, and those on the high end get insane flavors. Very few people are reporting on the medium end. I have a temperature controller, I've keeping mine at around 67-68, I will bring it to room temp after one week, but it sounds like the yeast will be done before then. This is kind of a specialty recipe I slapped together, but I'll dry hop it and report on it later in the month:

Code:
5.5gal
5# GW 2Row
5# Weyerman Ger. Pils
0.5# Special B 155degL
.75 oz US Mag @ 60m
1 oz Spalt @ 13.5m (whoops)
1 oz Spalt @ FO 
Mash 152F
Ferment 67-68F
DOES NOT CONFORM TO ANY SPECIFIC STYLE

Sounds good. Mine turned out really well. I named it Not A Belgian. It was not mild by any means and was a nice mix between an American IPA and a Belgian ale.

Sounds good. Mine turned out really well. I named it Not A Belgian. It was not mild by any means and was a nice mix between an American IPA and a Belgian ale.

Hmm... well I'll just have to see how mine went. I'll use it again and changeup my ferm temps slightly to see which direction I'd like this yeast to produce it's notes. This yeast works quick; the krausen cleared up after about 48 hours. Insane.

Alright I've got an update on my brew... racked to secondary to rack on slurry, it stayed 68F or within a tolerance of .5F for five days. It worked quick, and hasn't really given a damn about clearing. Notes:

Very Belgian spicy, somewhat phenolic. Overall a very lasting Belgian impression!
Pepper note is very muted, but there. If I was judging this beer, I would note a faint blackpepper character.
Made the beer taste quite a bit like a wit without any additional spices at all! Very impressive!

I think I'll try this next at around 66 to try to drive off that pepper style. Racked a witbier onto the slurry today.

I'll add my experience, though I'm not a huge belgian guy (I've only brewed a few and not had too many commercial examples), so take this with a grain of salt.

I did a pale/amber with it that came out pretty good femrenting at 68 and then rising. I did a trippel that I fermented a good bit warmer (into 70s while ferm was going strong) to try and get a strong yeast presence, but got too much banana, but it was still alright.

As with others, I have noticed lower attenuation from this beer. I'm thinking of using it for that reason on Belgian session ales. I tried to make a session saison with 3711, but it just east through everything and gives more alcohol than I'm looking for. I'm also thinking about using it in lieu of a hefe yeast for a bananabread/dunkel for the fall.

I am using T-58 for the first time. Shooting for a Belgian IPA. I like Epic's Brainless IPA, going for something similar. Keeping ferm temps in the low 60's, I want Belgian but not bubblegum. Any tips or ideas would be appreciated. I am on day 4 of fermentation.

The banana in my Tripel has faded, and it's turning out pretty well. I just bought some 3787, so I'll have to make another and compare notes.

I am using T-58 for the first time. Shooting for a Belgian IPA. I like Epic's Brainless IPA, going for something similar. Keeping ferm temps in the low 60's, I want Belgian but not bubblegum. Any tips or ideas would be appreciated. I am on day 4 of fermentation.

I picked up a packet of this from Arts, it was discounted and expired by now about 1 year. I was going to use it, but ive been washing and reusing my us-05 with success. keep me posted on how this turns out.

I picked up a packet of this from Arts, it was discounted and expired by now about 1 year. I was going to use it, but ive been washing and reusing my us-05 with success. keep me posted on how this turns out.

I am thinking of bottling this weekend. I kept it mid to low 60's for about a week, then room temps. This brought it up to about 68F. My gravity is now 1.009. OG was 1.061. Sample was not as "belgian" as I thought it would be. I guess the low temps. That was about 6 days ago. The spice nature of the yeast really works with the hops. The IBU is fairly low at 54. I really think this beer will be unique, but very easy drinking.
One last thing, I used 2 packs of the T-58. I had high hopes for my efficiency.

One of my favorite things to do lately is brew a very basic low gravity wit style and just let this yeast go wild. It always gives some great flavors.

I'm going to brew another HG Belgian-style quad with T-58 tomorrow. The last batch did not taste very Belgian-y or Trappist-y.

This time, I'm going to try fermenting at a significantly higher temp (23ºC). Hopefully, that will help. I can't think of anything else that would make my beer taste more like Chimay (Blue) or Leffe (Brune). In all honesty, I really want to clone the Chimay Blue label. That's my favorite Belgian Abbey ale, to date. I know it's probably a "yeast" problem, but I don't think I can ever isolate their yeast myself.

All that being said, the last two brews I did with T-58, while not tasting like a true Belgian beer, were still very tasty, albeit in a flavor profile of their own. If I end up with something like those, I'll still be satisfied.

One of my favorite aspects of T-58 is how compact the sediment is, and how clear the beer is without additives. What sucks is that it's guaranteed to blow the top off your fermenter if you don't use a blow-off tube.

Anyway, if you guys have any pointers to throw my way in the next 20 hours, please do. Otherwise, I'll still be making an awesome beer. :)

I'm going to brew another HG Belgian-style quad with T-58 tomorrow. The last batch did not taste very Belgian-y or Trappist-y.

This time, I'm going to try fermenting at a significantly higher temp (23ºC). Hopefully, that will help. I can't think of anything else that would make my beer taste more like Chimay (Blue) or Leffe (Brune). In all honesty, I really want to clone the Chimay Blue label. That's my favorite Belgian Abbey ale, to date. I know it's probably a "yeast" problem, but I don't think I can ever isolate their yeast myself.

All that being said, the last two brews I did with T-58, while not tasting like a true Belgian beer, were still very tasty, albeit in a flavor profile of their own. If I end up with something like those, I'll still be satisfied.

One of my favorite aspects of T-58 is how compact the sediment is, and how clear the beer is without additives. What sucks is that it's guaranteed to blow the top off your fermenter if you don't use a blow-off tube.

Anyway, if you guys have any pointers to throw my way in the next 20 hours, please do. Otherwise, I'll still be making an awesome beer. :)

For future reference... wlp500 is the Chimay yeast

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

For future reference... wlp500 is the Chimay yeast

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

Just 24 hours too late. Damn. Thanks for the tip--I'll use this one next time I brew a heavy Belgian!

Not that this beer's going to be bad, by any means. T-58 is a good yeast.

Nice phone, BTW.

Here to add another voice to the banana smell with this yeast, brewing a dark ale on the final leg of fermentation in the low 70s to squeeze out that last .008 gravity

Been curious about this yeast for a year or so, and finally tried it out on a fairly simple Belgian Golden recipe.
Fermented in the low 60's for 3 weeks then bottled.
Very pleased with the result, nice moderate yeast character that seems to fit right in between a Belgian Ale & Hefeweizen.
After 4-6 weeks in the bottle this beer is really starting to shine, easy to enjoy with plenty of character and depth.
Only issue I had was not getting the yeast to settle while in primary, but it cleared up nicely in the bottles.

I use dry yeast every time I can and now I got one for Belgian Ales that I'll have no problem using again.

I brewed a Tripel with it, kept it in the low 60's. Was one of the best beers I've done to date. It was an extract kit. FG trickled down to 1.018 after 4-5 wks. Ended up at ABV ~8.9%.

i have never used this yeast for a primary fermentation, but 1/2 teaspoon, rehydrated, is perfect for priming 5 gallons of beer that may have been lagered, fined, or otherwise need a bit more yeast. it forms a very nice compact layer of yeast.

I plan to brew an extract witbier with T-58 on Monday or Tues next week. It's the first time using this yeast, so this thread has been useful. I plan to ferment at about 68-70 to get some good Belgian flavors coming out. Hopefully not too much banana, though. Here's my recipe:
2lbs Extra light DME
1lb Extra Light DME (15 min)
3lbs wheat DME (15 mine)
1/2lb flaked wheat
1/2lb flaked Oats
1oz Hallertauer 60min
1oz cracked coriander 5 min
1oz bitter orange peel 5 min
T-58

I will try to remember to come back to this thread with some of my experiences with this yeast. Happy brewing to everyone!

Everyone says spice and/or Belgian profile... What would be the result in a English style as Stout for exemple?
Bad idea?

Everyone says spice and/or Belgian profile... What would be the result in a English style as Stout for exemple?
Bad idea?

The answer is it's a great idea!

I JUST kegged a stout that I made with this. The recipe was...

10 lbs 2 row
1 lb roasted barely
1/2 lb chocolate malt
1/2 lb wheat malt
1/2 lb crystal 80L

1.5 oz Kent Goldings @ 60
1.5 oz Kent Goldings @ 20

Mashed @ 150 x 120 minutes

Primary 9 days @ 75-80 degrees
Kegged today

After only 9 days in primary this beer already has a HUGE black pepper/smoke smell and flavor. There is a slight hint of belgian dark fruits in the smell. It was a toss up for me whether this would smell/taste good, and whether or not it would ferment the whole way down. It finished at 1.010 - successful on all levels as far as I'm concerned. I'll let it sit in the keg for a while and carb up and post back when it's finished.

First time brewer here. Wish I would have seen this thread before I brewed my first batch (last weekend) - lots of good information in here.

It's a belgian blonde extract kit from my LHBS. OG was 1.064 (slightly lower than the EG of 1.069). Airlock activity began within 24 hours and within 48 hr the gravity had dropped to 1.030 when I noticed airlock activity had stopped (I know this isn't a reliable indicator of fermentation). During this period, I found a second pack of T-58 from my kit which I had apparently misplaced. I decided to pitch this packet just to be safe (I rehydrated the first packet at too high of a temperature (100F) according to fermentis' website (80F) and with the quick stop in airlock activity, I figured what the heck). Airlock activity resumed within an hour of pitching the second packet.

At no point have I seen signs of very active fermentation (using a bucket, so I can't see it; just basing this on airlock activity); though I check on it about every 12 hours, so there could have been more activity at some point. Was seeing about 4 bubbles/minute after the second packet and now after 3 days it's about 1 bubble/minute. I pitched the first packet when the rehydrated yeast slurry and wort were both at 75F, then continued to quickly cool to 64; been holding at 65-68F since (swamp cooler).

As for aroma thus far... the one time I opened the bucket to pitch the second packet/get a gravity reading, I was a bit over-ambitious and took too big of a whiff and burned my nose from the CO2 (haha), so I don't have much information from that. The room certainly smells a bit malty and fruity, but I think there is something in my swamp cooler causing a not-so-pleasant stench so it's hard to tell (the water in the cooler certainly stinks - I don't think it's coming from the bucket). I have some starsan in the cooler, but I should have done a better job of cleaning it.

I'm hoping to have this beer ready for a neighborhood party at the end of the month, but that's cutting it close. Planning on 2 weeks in primary (assuming the FG is stable, which I can't see that not being the case) and then bottling.

This is becoming one of my favorite yeasts to date.

First batch was a Belgian Blonde fermented in low 60's per my prior post, turned out good.

2nd use was in a Saison with a very similar grain bill as the Belgian Blonde, brewed in August and fermented around 74 degrees. Turned out much better at this temp than the 1st try. Great fruitiness, very clear and a mild spiciness.

Most recently used in a Belgian Dubbel that just got bottled, fermented in the 70-74 degree range and all indications show a very good end result.

Seems like this yeast performs better, clears faster and produces a better flavor profile for my taste at the higher temperature range. I'm completely sold on this, especially for a $2.50 price per packet.

I am making an oatmeal cookie brown ale for Christmas. Guy at LHBS who shared recipe uses a liquid belgian yeast, suggested T-58 as a dry substitute.

Pitched 9pm Saturday, was fermenting within 12 hours, very active by end of the day. It was really active yesterday, throughout the day, today it is pretty calm in the carboy. I have it at 65 and I think I'm going to heat it up to 68-70.

It smelled like banana a lot yesterday. Now it smells sorta tangy and spicy in my fermentation chamber.

Just used this yeast in a Corsendonk Christmas Belgian Ale Clone recipe yesterday. I woke up to find the air lock bubbling like crazy! I have the fermenting bucket in a swamp cooler in the low 60's. I can't wait to see how this beer turns out.

I recently experimented with T-58 with three batches in a row. Progressively getting stronger with each batch - this batch was OG of 1.066 and a FO 1.006 . The last batch turned out the best because I fermented a little warmer then the first two batches. This third batch I used a sleeping bag to insult it while fermenting this kept the fermentation temp about 72 f.

The nose is bubble gummie but not too much ... just right. Now this beer was hopped fairly heavily with Citra\Mosaic\Cascade with late hop additions and dry hopping but not too much hop on the nose - more of the yeast. I thought that was interesting - 4 gallon batch with 3oz of hops (an ounce of each hop listed) - I got a little hop nose but mostly yeast - which I liked very much. Then again my nose is much different then most. I have to give my beers to my wife to tell me what she smells and it a world apart from one another.

I for one would recommend this yeast to anyone who want to do a Belgian style beer and like CKing said at that price it is a steal - I picked up a WLP500 cost me 9.5$ this cost me less then 3$. Different yeasts and different $$!

I tried using this yeast in a two Belgian pale ales, and yeast displayed weird behaviour. One was mashed hot other dry, gravity went from 1.50 to 1.011 in both occasions, but after bottling and priming around 2.5 Vol co2 i noticed gushers and heavy carbonation.upon measuring fg in bottles i saw 1.003 gravity. Could it be an infection picked up during bottling, since fg in fermenter was stable for 3weeks?or yeast awoke in bottles? Im puzzled.

I tried using this yeast in a two Belgian pale ales, and yeast displayed weird behaviour. One was mashed hot other dry, gravity went from 1.50 to 1.011 in both occasions, but after bottling and priming around 2.5 Vol co2 i noticed gushers and heavy carbonation.upon measuring fg in bottles i saw 1.003 gravity. Could it be an infection picked up during bottling, since fg in fermenter was stable for 3weeks?or yeast awoke in bottles? Im puzzled.

Either wasn't done fermenting when bottled or you got infection and some wild critters are eating after you bottled is it sour?

One of them tasted little sour after bottling, but fermenter sample before bottling didnt.it was in orimary for 4 weeks. Also sourness decreased little over time. Im suspecting maybe something happened during bottling since it stayed a month in fermenter and showed no signs of infection.

I used this once and I had gushers/swear the beer was infected but no bottle rings. Not a good experience.

Also, it smelled like fermenting wine (not good, but definitely reminiscent of Belgian beer — just not a pleasant one.)

I used this yeast for a 6-7% beer, hopped heavily with challenger, 20g per gallon, and a few target hops for 5 min at the end of the boil.

It was more carbonated from the bottle than i'd have liked - an experience which it looks like others have had.

I thought that maybe the yeast keeps on digesting the more complex sugars over a longer period of time? I will prime the bottles much less this time around.

Hopping this batch with hops I grew from seed i bought back from Kazakhstan - will be interesting!

Used this in my first all grain batch, a belgian blonde.
Mashed at around 153, pitched yeast at
around 70. Vigorous fermentation began about 6 hours later at 67 but slowed to almost nothing visually after about 36 hrs.....is this typical for this yeast???

Back