American Pale Ale Three Floyds Zombie Dust Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made this about a month ago and subbed the citra for falcons 7 c's(to save some money) but did dry hopped with citra. Tasted great, never had the real thing so sure on how different it changed it

Mmm.. that grist with the 7C's would be good. One of the best DIPA's I've ever made, had extra Citra and 7C's together. It was amazingly good, even being 8.9%.

Brewing the extract version up next week with wyeast 1968 and galaxy hops instead of citra. Hoping this doesn't turn out too sweet after reading some reviews on the yeast. Seems to have polarizing reviews on the 1968.

1.018 is pretty far from dry... Thats kind of high. I know thats what the recipe states though, but I would figure this beer would finish much atleast closer to 1.011 or 1.010.

Considering I started at 1.072, a single packet of s-04, and no starter I'm pretty happy I got that low.

Agreed, but why pitch so low, and get the off flavors?

Pitching low dosent always create off flavors.. as long as wort was oxygenated and temps were right ( and depending on yeast strain) low pitching right enviroment allows the cells to reproduce and do their job.. and most of the time the new cells work faster and better than big starters, leaving behind less undisirable flavors and a lot less fermentables.. northern brewers youtube channel had a nice hour long seminar on this.

Just pulled a sample after a week fg at 1.017, I've never had a beer clear up like this, tastes/smells fantastic, I used white labs English ale yeast.

image-1941346595.jpg

^ Wow, looks super clear already. You dry hop it yet??

So my keg just got carbed up and I pulled my first pint of this beer. Good, yes, but amazing no. It has nothing to do with the recipe, just my skill, or lack there of, in my new BIAB method. The hop smell and taste is great, bitterness is pretty much where I want it, but it lacks any sort of body and almost tastes watery.

I mashed this at 151. Actually about 150-152. I wanted it to finish a little drier, but it finished at 1.016. Is the mash temp the reason for the lack of body? I cant figure out why else that would be the case. Any help here??

Batch #125. 1.068 to 1.016 mashed at 150 with WLP002 and I used MO instead of 2-row.

Dry hopped in primary and again in secondary.

Never had the original but this is the best beer I've ever brewed.

Seriously.

Well, tasted it again, and this time, for some reason, it seemed to have a little more body. Still on the light side, but drank a lot better than the first one. Great beer. The Citra hops a very unique. Very different than the super piney, resiny hops. Its (as its name states) VERY citrusy. Not in a bad way though. I get the grapefruit thing. Lots of it. I think next time Ill try and blend in a little Cascade or Amarillo to give a citrus heavy IPA. Great recipe! Im very happy with it so far

SFGiantsFan925 said:
Well, tasted it again, and this time, for some reason, it seemed to have a little more body. Still on the light side, but drank a lot better than the first one. Great beer. The Citra hops a very unique. Very different than the super piney, resiny hops. Its (as its name states) VERY citrusy. Not in a bad way though. I get the grapefruit thing. Lots of it. I think next time Ill try and blend in a little Cascade or Amarillo to give a citrus heavy IPA. Great recipe! Im very happy with it so far

I brewed this recipe with the same hop schedule but used 80% citra and 20% Amarillo instead 100% citra. I like it much better. However, I am considering doing another hop at 60 minutes to cover the bittering, as I think using citra that early may be a waste.

My first attempt was a mix of galaxy and citra, it was pretty good but not real close to the real thing. My 1lb of citra came in the mail yesterday. That gives me at least two attempts this year!

I actually used Magnum to bitter, since I didn't want to waste my Citra on that. I ma going to give it a couple more days and try again. I will be away from home for a few days so it will be easy haha. If not, Im sure I'd be hittin it up. i bottled about 2.5 gallons and kegged the rest, about 2.5 gallons also. So, we will see if the bottles turn out any different. Im liking it so far! Will probably make again, but mash a little higher. I think this grain bill would work for pretty much any type of hops to make a solid beer.

Bought the grains for this again today, makes a good summer time beer. Plus this year going to DLD in April.

Batch #125. 1.068 to 1.016 mashed at 150 with WLP002 and I used MO instead of 2-row.

Dry hopped in primary and again in secondary.

Never had the original but this is the best beer I've ever brewed.

Seriously.

You did it just right! Well done!

^
So my keg just got carbed up and I pulled my first pint of this beer. Good, yes, but amazing no. It has nothing to do with the recipe, just my skill, or lack there of, in my new BIAB method. The hop smell and taste is great, bitterness is pretty much where I want it, but it lacks any sort of body and almost tastes watery.

I mashed this at 151. Actually about 150-152. I wanted it to finish a little drier, but it finished at 1.016. Is the mash temp the reason for the lack of body? I cant figure out why else that would be the case. Any help here??

Low mash temps will result in drier beers, but will also produce a thinner body.
http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter14-5.html

Maybe try a thinner mash (>2 quarts water per pound of grain) if you still want a drier beer.
http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter14-6.html

Not trying to be a Richard here, but what is your experience level in judging beer?

Lots of things can have an affect on body/mouthfeel. Carbonation (biggest affect), bitterness, residual sugars, etc.

At 1.016 it should be medium body IMO, but the bitterness is going to shock your tongue before you find those sweet (body-enhancing) residual sugars. It's all about how your tongue works. :)

Cheers,
~Adam

Not trying to be a Richard here, but what is your experience level in judging beer?

Lots of things can have an affect on body/mouthfeel. Carbonation (biggest affect), bitterness, residual sugars, etc.

At 1.016 it should be medium body IMO, but the bitterness is going to shock your tongue before you find those sweet (body-enhancing) residual sugars. It's all about how your tongue works. :)

Cheers,
~Adam

Im not thinking your being a D!ck, but I understand where you are coming from. Im mean, Im not a "judge" by any means, but I have drank a LOT of different types of beers, especially IPA's, Doubles and Imperials, but not a lot of homebrewed IPA. Like I said, the beer is great right now, and very drinkable. First taste was as if someone had put a few ounces of water in with a solid IPA. It tasted watered down, with a thinner body and had a very light mouthfeel like a Coors Light. I tasted it again, and that was almost gone, but it still tasted "thin".

Also, as I said, its not a result of this recipe. I know its me, and my equipment and technique. Its all a learning process. Its definitely a great beer, and drinking fine. Its also my first IPA that I have ever made. I have made Pales, never an IPA. Im thinking this is an IPA right??

Juse gives me something to improve on in my next batch! :ban: Assuming I can find more Citra haha.

I need a sanity check on the AG recipe:
I'm going to do BIAB, so after I sparge or whatever, I should do my First Wort Hop, then when my boil starts, do normal hopping again at 15, 10, 5, 1?

Also a question about the extract/partial:
Why does the extract/partial have a First Wort Hop and a 60 minute hop? Because of the volume difference?

I made this today, came out at a 17 brix on 6 gallons. Lucky to have 8.5 oz of citra out of a open pound.

Im not thinking your being a D!ck, but I understand where you are coming from. Im mean, Im not a "judge" by any means, but I have drank a LOT of different types of beers, especially IPA's, Doubles and Imperials, but not a lot of homebrewed IPA. Like I said, the beer is great right now, and very drinkable. First taste was as if someone had put a few ounces of water in with a solid IPA. It tasted watered down, with a thinner body and had a very light mouthfeel like a Coors Light. I tasted it again, and that was almost gone, but it still tasted "thin".

Also, as I said, its not a result of this recipe. I know its me, and my equipment and technique. Its all a learning process. Its definitely a great beer, and drinking fine. Its also my first IPA that I have ever made. I have made Pales, never an IPA. Im thinking this is an IPA right??

Juse gives me something to improve on in my next batch! :ban: Assuming I can find more Citra haha.

It's classified as a Pale for the real things, but I think from having the real deal, that it's closer to an IPA than a Pale.. kind of inbetween. So you are pretty much on the right track with your way of thinking.

Question guys -

Two days in my blow off was bubbling hard and consistent. I took off the blow off tube, shook up the carboy real nice, and put a airlock on. It stopped bubbling and hasn't start back up in over 12 hours. I used the wyeast 1968 if that makes a difference. Any advice on what I should do for this?

And just an FYI. It literally stopped bubbling the minute after I shook up the carboy. Doesn't make much sense to me

You proabably shook all the CO2 out of solution by shaking it. Don't do that. Give it a day or two, it should bubble again.

I would advise against shaking fermented beer unless you want oxidation. And let it go at least a week then check gravity.

You proabably shook all the CO2 out of solution by shaking it. Don't do that. Give it a day or two, it should bubble again.

How does oxygen get into a sealed fermenter because someone shook it, if it was that way then infection would be ramped without shaking it. The presser inside the ferm is higher than the outside, so air would not be able to get to the beer. Now with that said, this isn’t something I do on normal bases, but have had to do it to unstick a beer, to get the yeast off the bottom like a stir plate and a starter. Cheers

How does oxygen get into a sealed fermenter because someone shook it, if it was that way then infection would be ramped without shaking it. The presser inside the ferm is higher than the outside, so air would not be able to get to the beer. Now with that said, this isn’t something I do on normal bases, but have had to do it to unstick a beer, to get the yeast off the bottom like a stir plate and a starter. Cheers

Correct. While shaking it isn't advised, a gentle swirl is okay to rouse some yeast. I have to do this when I brew a porter with London ESB yeast. It flocs to quick and hard, I rouse it to finish the job and do a D rest.

When fermentation starts, pretty much ALL the O2 is pushed out, as it's lighter than Co2. Swirling it introduces little to no O2 as it's been all pushed out once active fermentation takes place. There could be a little residual in there, but more than likely not enough to matter.

A full on shake isn't advised though, but a little swirling action to get the cake moving is fine.

Just pulled another pint from the keg. Tasting great, but a LOT like grapefruit or orange peel that had been soaked in an IPA. Not in a bad way, but its a good way to showcase the Citra hop. I like it, but as said before, i think Ill use the exact same grain bill with a mix of Citra and something else. I really like the grain bill. It turned out very clean and thanks again for a great recipe!

Brewed this up yesterday with all my new gear I got over the holidays. I broke my hydrometer though and was not able to get a SG reading (and the LHBS was already closed).

Just pulled another pint from the keg. Tasting great, but a LOT like grapefruit or orange peel that had been soaked in an IPA. Not in a bad way, but its a good way to showcase the Citra hop. I like it, but as said before, i think Ill use the exact same grain bill with a mix of Citra and something else. I really like the grain bill. It turned out very clean and thanks again for a great recipe!

Agreed, I kegged mine on Saturday, and it is veeeery citrusey (obviously as one would expect with Citra), but I feel the same way as you. Delish but maybe could benefit from another hop thrown in there. I am curious to see how it mellows. I do wonder how long Three Floyds sits on it (if at all).

made last night at 1.062. Mashed at 156 and it finished 70 minutes later at 154. I pitched at 74 and it sits at 63 now. I used wlp002 and did 2 steps. It plugged my keggle so I siphoned. I'm planning to just dump the whole hops in the primary with the rest of the junk and boil a hop bag to siphon through. I hope there's some malty flavor in this cuzz I have too many hopped up brews right now.:tank:

Back