Stovetop smoking...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolfstar

Reaction score
Recent "surprises" in my health condition have forced me to cut back on certain fats and and all that other good sh*t that sends you to the cardiac floor at the local hospital...

I like seafood just fine, I am wondering how many of y'all have messed with stovetop smoking and what results you get....I am going to try to hot smoke a salmon fillet with a contraption built out of aluminum foil and a stainless steel broil pan tonight...

Does anyone have any tried and true meathods for a quick smoked fish or chicken?

i season my fish first a for most. the in a hotel pan i add the wood chips (soaked) and a little water. then a half hotel pan (this one with holes) i lay my fish in, wait for first signs of smoke and place the pan in. cover and let ride til the fish is cooked to the temp i want. pretty straight forward. i also like to cure salmon in a light confit mix salt pepper. but the secret is making a mamosa* and pouring it over first. then cover entirely in salt and weigh it down to press moister out. give it a day or so.

Anything I ever smoked on the stove top was not edible afterward, but I am interested in the responses

Hi

I played with an electric smoker for a lot of years. That's tough enough.

Fish, chicken, turkey, and wild game (often low fat) all smoke *very* well. I'd do it in a real smoker though.

Bob

So I smoked salmon and cod....

I used maple on the salmon, it came out good, the smoke was subtle but overall I was very pleased. The cod was done with alder, again, subtle but very good.

Going to keep messing with this...

Yeah I got an Masterbuilt Electric Smoker on the back porch I use a lot for parties and stuff, couldnt imagine smoking on the stove or in the house, swmbo wouldnt have that.

Hi

Probably the best setup:

Grab a lobster pot, toss the wood chips in the bottom of it. Do not soak them in water. Put the whole thing on a small burner on the stove. Chips in the middle of the pot / over the burner.

Next, suspend a tray / plate / pie tin with the fish about half way to 2/3 way up in the pot. Put the lid on the pot and cook away.

You should be able to get the bottom of the pot reasonably warm without over cooking the fish.

The idea here is low temperatures and slow cooking. High heat is not what you are after. Also high heat probably will nuke the bottom of the lobster pot.

Bob

How high are you setting the flame under the pan on the stove?

Low...

I am using a stainless steel broiler pan with an aluminum foil tent. On high got a very unpleasant smell from the smoke....not the pleasant charictaristic of the wood, but more of an acrid phenolic smell...can't quite describe it.

I suspect this smell would transfer to the protein rendering it unpalatable....

I smoked chicken breasts the other night, but had to finish them in a saute pan as they were getting to smokey...in the end, they came out very good. Missing that charcoal grilled aspect though. When I used to work at the steakhouse, we would smoke our ribs in an Alto Shaam electric smoker. Before serving we would throw them on the grill to add the flavour of the grill...

Hi

To smokey is good. You can always back off on the amount of wood you toss in. If you can get it to far gone, it's just fine tuning from here on in.

Bob

I like that lobster pot idea with dry chips. Would work for the fish but for chicken would would really want to soak the chips to add a little more humidity to the pot since the chicken will take much longer.

I dig those electric alto shams for the ease but I don't think you really get as much flavor from them. I see them as the microwaves of the smoker world.

Next time I'll go for the lobster pot with a suspended rack and see where I end up. Like he said, fine tuning!!!

Happy cooking (and brewing)

I like that lobster pot idea with dry chips. Would work for the fish but for chicken would would really want to soak the chips to add a little more humidity to the pot since the chicken will take much longer.

I dig those electric alto shams for the ease but I don't think you really get as much flavor from them. I see them as the microwaves of the smoker world.

Next time I'll go for the lobster pot with a suspended rack and see where I end up. Like he said, fine tuning!!!

Happy cooking (and brewing)

Hi

Low and slow with the heat on the pot - unless you have a really heavy one, it's not designed to take a lot of heat without being full of water.

Bob

Back