Brewing Kolsch....Questions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talleymonster

Reaction score
Hi everybody. I am going to brew AHS Gold Seal Kolsch(Extract). Has anybody ever used this kit?
I want to alter the recipe instructions slightly. Really, all I'm wanting to change is when I add the extract. I want to add it the last 15 minutes of the boil as opposed to the full 60 minutes to try to keep a nice light color.
I also want to add Irish Moss in the last 15 minutes as well. I got some Irish Moss in my latest Craigslist Score. My concern is that th Irish moss is like 3+ years old.

Is it still any good?

What do you guys think?

Never used the kit. Late extract addition should be fine, if you adjust your bittering hop additions for the lower gravity/improved utilization of the boil.

The Irish Moss is probably OK, and I doubt it will hurt anything in any case. But really...an ounce of Irish Moss is ~$1. If you're at all worried about it, toss it and add some to your next HBS order.

well you do need SOME extract in the brewpot, or the hops aren't going to extract properly either (at as I understand it).

I would add 10-25% of the extract at the beginning, rest at the end. Like said above you will want to cut the hops back a bit...how much? I can't exactly say. Use one of the online recipe calc things to help you get about the same IBUs.

I don't think the isrish moss is going to kill your beer but it might not be as effective, I would replace it if you can.

I actually just brewed their Texas Kolsch MiniMash kit. I would definitely do the late extract addition, but like malkore and beerrific said, put in about a quarter of the extract before the first hop addition and boil. Also are you going to be cooling the fermentation down to around 60 F? I have a fermentation fridge that it sat in for 23 days cause it wouldnt stop fermenting, its been crash coling at 38F for 5 weeks now and i think is about ready to keg. I also wouldnt use irish moss that old, there is really no need if you plan on using a cold secondary because the yeast will flocculate out then. good luck

talleymonster said:
I also want to add Irish Moss in the last 15 minutes as well. I got some Irish Moss in my latest Craigslist Score. My concern is that th Irish moss is like 3+ years old.

Is it still any good?

What do you guys think?

it's dried seaweed.....it's prb fine. Try it and see how it works.

Latest posts

Back