Ah the glory

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haasobrew

Reaction score
My roomate is chef'n up a little sausage and red gravy on my 90% complete brewing sculpture. I wonder if it's bad karma for my approaching first batch??? Ah but the glorious food will be delicious in a couple hours. I think I'll rdwhahb and enjoy.

image-3831649910.jpg

image-3965145237.jpg

image-1302690472.jpg

image-3659400145.jpg

Thats Gumbo gentlemen. Im not cajun but i worked with a cajun over the road and he carried in his work trailer a 2.5 gallon bucket of red gravy his wife would make for him to take with him to cook for the boys on weekends and from what i could understand on how she made it was...

She saved all the bacon grease up for a while then she would put it in a pan.
Put in The holy trinity (Celery,Carrot,Onion) fry that up
Add flour and tomato sauce and tabasco to create a RUE or basically a gravy
Then slow cook it all day long

Then when the man was ready to make gumbo he just added his own ingrediants and he had gumbo just like mamma would make back home

Anybody have a more exact recipe? Im just a northerner myself

that's a gumbo base just waiting for shrimp and crawdads. saw a lot of that in the area sw of metairie when i was driving a truck

You crazy guys. That's not gumbo. It's just sausage, rotel, onions bell peppers garlic, some seasoning and A little tomato paste. Brown the sausage, drain the grease, throw in everything else with some water and let it simmer for a couple hours. Serve over rice.
I don't know if you northerners have access to good smoked sausage, but it is necessary for making this.
Just to clarify, Gumbo is a very different dish than this sausage and red gravy.

Latest posts

Back