Speidel Braumeister (brewmaster)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only suggestion I have is to bump up your boil temp to 102 as everyone has suggested. I couldn't get mine to ever hit it so the boil timer never started - but plan on leaving the lid on until I hit it next time as that should work I would think. (Obviously removing it as soon as it starts the cycle.). Don't have enough time with a working unit to offer anything else - so will live vicariously through you this week. I'll be brewing this weekend as well once receive my replacement from Thorsten - will let you know my thoughts after that.

Only suggestion I have is to bump up your boil temp to 102 as everyone has suggested. I couldn't get mine to ever hit it so the boil timer never started - but plan on leaving the lid on until I hit it next time as that should work I would think. (Obviously removing it as soon as it starts the cycle.). Don't have enough time with a working unit to offer anything else - so will live vicariously through you this week. I'll be brewing this weekend as well once receive my replacement from Thorsten - will let you know my thoughts after that.

Great, thanks for the tip! I'll keep you posted.

Weird. I just got a call from Fed Ex customs regarding a package for "Red W Trading LLC" out of Miami for a unit from Spiedel. Wrong number of course but if anyone out there recognizes this, you may want to start calling whoever you ordered from to insure this gets thru customs.

They just want to know what it is. I told the guy what it was but since it's not actually my package. that doesn't do any good.

As Rob said, read the manual, especially the beginning to understand the controls. I made a copy of the first couple of pages and keep them at the BM. Either make a dip tube or as said previously move the unit to the edge of the table. Place the malt tube in so it seat firmly on the bottom. Carefully place the grain in the malt tube and very carefully place the screen and sieve in the malt tube as centered as is possible. Any grain that get past the screens should be ladled out. This is a little tough with the 20L unit because there isn't a whole lot of room between the malt pipe and pot wall, but you don't want it getting into the pump for it makes for a miserable brew day. When you're checking it out initially write down the default mash temp and times that are programmed into it. Once you overwrite them, they are gone. You might want to start out with something you've brewed well before with a one or two step temp mash schedule. If your not using one of the five mash phases just enter 0 for the time and it will skip that phase.(usually the the 4th and 5th) I usually start my boil phase with the lid on but cracked open 25% so I can see the foam before it boils over, which it will do before it settles down to a calm rolling boil. Let us know how you make out.

The Speidel has landed! :rockin::ban:

I will give you all an update when I get it home and unbox it.:tank:

Pics or it didn't happen! :D

Thorsten confirmed shipment today on mine and should be here Friday if the transportation gods are willing. I'm not doing my starter until I get past the UPS sort!

Pics or it didn't happen! :D

Thorsten confirmed shipment today on mine and should be here Friday if the transportation gods are willing. I'm not doing my starter until I get past the UPS sort!

Proof!

photo.jpg

Need Opinion. I'm bummed! I unpacked my BM, everything was going ok until I noticed that the front ball valve is slightly bent in, must be from shipping. The slight angle inward doesnt nother me, however when I look inside the heating coil is touching the portion the was slightly bent in. Is this a problem? If it isn't I will move on.

photo 2.jpg

photo 1.jpg

Even if it isn't a problem, given the cost of this thing I'd send it back and get another one. I know it's a pain, but that's not acceptable.

Wow - not good, so sorry to see this. I definitely think that's beyond acceptable given what you are paying for the unit. From the picture from the inside, that's bent quite a bit. I'd work with Speidel on a replacement given the damage. Again, sorry as I know it's disappointing - trust me on that one.

I agree. They need to do something about their packaging or Fedex's handling. Seems more units are coming through with some damage

I used to always try to build it myself until I started adding up the REAL costs and the amount of man hours involved. It always cost more than you think. Those that say they can build this unit for $500 have definitely been into the suds too deep.

Yambor44 said:
So whats the word Vegas? I hope you have heard from them by now.

Well, nothing definitive yet . Ralf has been very good at answering my emails and keeping me informed. As it stands right now, he is contacting FedEx to get their involvement in this matter.

Fedex can deal with the claim so Speidel can get their money for the damaged unit. That said, they aren't involved in getting you a replacement. Did he give you an ETA on a new replacement unit? I would hope Speidel would remove a transportation claim out of that critical path as that's not a quick process in a lot of cases.

Fedex can deal with the claim so Speidel can get their money for the damaged unit. That said, they aren't involved in getting you a replacement. Did he give you an ETA on a new replacement unit? I would hope Speidel would remove a transportation claim out of that critical path as that's not a quick process in a lot of cases.

Absolutely! So what if Fed Ex says to ****off? Are they not going to take care of it? They should have already sent you a new one out with a return label for the unit you have. All you need is the main unit. Keep the lid and maltpipe etc. Then get reimbursed from Fed Ex. Period.

My lid was dinged up (if you recall) when I got mine. Thorsten had me a new one ordered the same day and I had it in about a week best I can remember.

It's not like we don't wait long enough as it is after paying for the order. As I have mentioned before, this is why we deal with a reputable company with quality products. So when this sort of thing happens, they have the resources (man power, brain power and money) to take care of it ASAP not WECGTI - (whenever we can get to it).

It's not like we don't wait long enough as it is after paying for the order. As I have mentioned before, this is why we deal with a reputable company with quality products. So when this sort of thing happens, they have the resources (man power, brain power and money) to take care of it ASAP not WECGTI - (whenever we can get to it).

Agree and don't see any reason for anything but a quick replacement given his picture. Looks like someone set an engine block on it in the pile via the carrier. I once worked in the freight business, unloading planes, trucks, and delivering heavyweight freight. The packaging on the Braumeister is the MINIMAL requirement to avoid these problems. I think they need to consider a different packaging solution that is more in line with the PC packaging standards to avoid these issues in the future. Rigid foam inserts trumps triwall cardboard to insure you don't have these issues and box puncture dings on the units. Just my 3 cents...

Agree and don't see any reason for anything but a quick replacement given his picture. Looks like someone set an engine block on it in the pile via the carrier. I once worked in the freight business, unloading planes, trucks, and delivering heavyweight freight. The packaging on the Braumeister is the MINIMAL requirement to avoid these problems. I think they need to consider a different packaging solution that is more in line with the PC packaging standards to avoid these issues in the future. Rigid foam inserts trumps triwall cardboard to insure you don't have these issues and box puncture dings on the units. Just my 3 cents...

Thats a very good point. They should do this as the control panel is indeed a type of PC no?

IMO it is a numbers game. As long as it is cheaper to replace or repair a unit every now and then, then it is to upgrade the packaging (costs) on every single shipment, they won't change.

What they should keep in mind is that this reflects on customer satisfaction via quality control and this could cause them a customer or two every month. At the rates we pay for these units, that could be a decent hit to the bottom line (profit).

This is the first part of a very long post(three pages and 15 photos) that I tryed to send a while back. After finding out I could only send a few photos with each post I got discuraged and have not cared to try again, till now. I will only post the part that has my experiance with shipping damage.

It’s been a few weeks (about month now)since I got a knock on my door from the UPS Driver delivering my 50L Braumeister. I was so excited. It had arrived exactly 7 days after I had placed the order. It came in a giant box, with warnings’ written in German, complete with holes and bashed in corners. I grabbed my camera and shot a few photos just in case I would have to send the unit back because of shipping damages.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

Wow, looking at all the packing material I figured there was no way it could be damaged. But…. the BM had traveled a long way from Germany; possibly through an eastern port, Shipped to California, and then back across the country to my doorstep. Tulsa, OK, a long way, lots of stops, and many different people trying to maneuver a large heavy box. It was evident that at some stage someone had punched a hole in the side and had been dragging the box around because it was just too large to attempt to carry. A long-nose dolly would have worked just fine.

006.jpg

007.jpg

004.jpg

009.jpg

I was happy to see there was only minor damage to the BM. The lid was slightly bent due to one of the zip ties holding it in place had broken. There were four dents on the inside of the BM. Most likely caused be the malt pipe moving around during shipment. The posts on the malt pipe were protected but with all the handling,…I mean dropping. I guess it was enough to cause the dents. I thought about it for a few minutes and concluded. Four small dents and a bent lid are not going to make any difference in how the unit works. And besides I don’t want the hassle of making a damage claim. Then sending it back, and waiting for another one to arrive, hopping it would arrive in perfect condition. I want to brew…..

Redstag- you would be horrified to the realities of how that box was treated in it's journey. It's a box to the people handling it. Fragile stickers mean nothing. It gets shoved, dropped, and stacked on with little regard to contents. That's not carrier specific - that's just what happens when you handle thousands of packages a day at these places. Good people just see another box as they rush to get the job done. The shipper has to account for this in their packaging standards.

As a side note, when I worked in the industry we had a contract with a tanning bed company to do all their deliveries. I delivered 10+ while I worked there and not one unit made it undamaged! We are required to attempt delivery on every item. Nothing worse than pulling up to someone's house with a smashed box that sound like broken glass every time you move it. Thankfully I was never assaulted upon fulfilling my work obligations!

After having brewed with my unit one time I noticed that two of the posts on the malt pipe have been pushed in a bit and bent. The malt screen hangs up slightly as it is being placed in and removed. Since I have already used the unit I figured there is no way to make a clam. Also after having seen other peoples boxed up units I suspect that what I received from Morebeer was a unit that they may have had on display in there shop. They just repacked the unit and sent it out and that is why I got mine so quickly.
I am disappointed that I did not inspect the unit better. However, I am still VERY happy with my Braumeister, it is a wonderful machine. I was able to work a little on the lid and get it to sit flat. The dents in the side are not very noticeable. And I would like to order a 5 gallon malt pipe in the near future. I will be calling Thorston soon.

My 50L showed up with similar damage as Redstag's. The box was pretty bashed up and had one hole in it. I was so excited to unbox it, that I didn't even think to take pictures. Anyway, a few small dents caused by, I assume, the malt pipe and slightly wonky lid. The copper top and thermocollar were undamaged. Everything was usable, and I was excited to get brewing, so I didn't bother with a damage claim.

I agree that the packaging could be beefed up a bit. I assume that the packaging is adequate for shipping within Europe, but the rigors of transoceanic shipping overwhelm the current packaging. (I wonder how the guys in Australia are receiving theirs?)

It seems that the BM has only recently gained popularity in the US. Speidel may not have anticipated selling so many units outside of Europe and thusly only designed their packaging for the protection required for shipping within continental Europe. I don't doubt that these packaging issues will become an issue for NA buyers, regardless of how good Speidel's customer service is.

I'm glad that Thorsten has been such a big help to those of us in NA.

Btw, anyone notice that MoreBeer4u.com is returning a 404 error? I hope that is just temporary.

I think many of us are lucky to have the our units arrive with minimal damage. We are a long way from Germany. I feel the pain of others who have had bed luck. I know sh*t happens. And it is not easy to accept. I wish everyone good luck in getting there units soon and of course in perfect condition.

Btw, anyone notice that MoreBeer4u.com is returning a 404 error? I hope that is just temporary.

When I tryed to call to order from Morebeer4U, Thorstons 800 number was not working as it should. I didn't think to try there area code number. So I called the guys in California. Maybe Yambor can get a hold of Thorston and let him know he has a problem. I hope all is well with Thorston.

Thorston sent me tracking details yesterday on my unit and likely is just having a temporary server issue.

After having brewed with my unit one time I noticed that two of the posts on the malt pipe have been pushed in a bit and bent. The malt screen hangs up slightly as it is being placed in and removed. Since I have already used the unit I figured there is no way to make a clam. Also after having seen other peoples boxed up units I suspect that what I received from Morebeer was a unit that they may have had on display in there shop. They just repacked the unit and sent it out and that is why I got mine so quickly.
I am disappointed that I did not inspect the unit better. However, I am still VERY happy with my Braumeister, it is a wonderful machine. I was able to work a little on the lid and get it to sit flat. The dents in the side are not very noticeable. And I would like to order a 5 gallon malt pipe in the near future. I will be calling Thorston soon.

Dude if I payed that much for something and it had damage that effects the functionality in any way I'd return it. You could just say that you didn't really notice the issues until you used it. MB is really good about this sort of thing. But yeah it is a super big pain to have to return and wait.

JonK331 said:
Dude if I payed that much for something and it had damage that effects the functionality in any way I'd return it. You could just say that you didn't really notice the issues until you used it. MB is really good about this sort of thing. But yeah it is a super big pain to have to return and wait.

I agree. Tell them the truth. You thought the damages were only cosmetic and could use it but now you'd like an exchange. Anyone needing Thorstens cell number PM me. I'm in a bad cell area so it may take a moment for me to reply.

im afraid to order one of these after reading all the shipping horror stories. spending 3gs on a 50l to have it only come in all dinged up is unacceptable and i am really turned off by seeing those photos. i have been trying to talk myself into ordering one even with the filter screen and dip tube issues but now im deffinately not ordering one until i see some type of drastic change in their packaging or shipping process.

I wanted to update everyone as to my dented unit. Ralf at Spiedel was great. We came to a resolution that I found more then satisfactory. The last thing I wanted to do was to send the unit back to Germany and wait 3 more weeks for a new unit that very possibly could have damage from FedEx as well. I told Ralf that I tested the unit and everything was in great condition and worked except for the dented vessel at the spigot. He suggested sending me a new vessel body which I could then transfer the components to myself. This idea sounded good but to be safe I contacted Thorston at morebeer4u. I can't say enough good things about his level of support! He assured me that doing the component transfer is not hard at all and even offered to do it himself if I shipped the unit to him! I'm going to do the transfer myself with guidance from Thorston. But first I have a back log of brewing to do, this weekend I'm going to try and knock out three beers! I'll keep you posted.

I wanted to update everyone as to my dented unit. Ralf at Spiedel was great. We came to a resolution that I found more then satisfactory. The last thing I wanted to do was to send the unit back to Germany and wait 3 more weeks for a new unit that very possibly could have damage from FedEx as well. I told Ralf that I tested the unit and everything was in great condition and worked except for the dented vessel at the spigot. He suggested sending me a new vessel body which I could then transfer the components to myself. This idea sounded good but to be safe I contacted Thorston at morebeer4u. I can't say enough good things about his level of support! He assured me that doing the component transfer is not hard at all and even offered to do it himself if I shipped the unit to him! I'm going to do the transfer myself with guidance from Thorston. But first I have a back log of brewing to do, this weekend I'm going to try and knock out three beers! I'll keep you posted.

That's an excellent solution and allows you to use the unit in the meantime. I think a majority of homebrewers have enough DIY mindset to make changes like that with instructions. Can you document the process so others know what to do in case it comes up again? I'm guessing it's simple based on what I see, but maybe there are some not-so-obvious items to be aware of when doing this.

Latest posts

Back