Challenger 5 Keg Post Leaking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

37OliveStBrews

Reaction score
Hi all,
I found this morning that a newly filled keg carbing under 10psi in my 68 degree basement was leaking through the beer out post. This is a used Challenger 5 keg and when I received it it held pressure. Upon receiving it I took all the post and gaskets out and cleaned them then reassembled (and no I didn't leave out any gaskets :) ). If I "over" tighten the beer out post it leaks through the poppet, if I loosen it leaks through the neck of the post. Any suggestions? should I just replace the poppets and gaskets and see if that works? Can you overtighten posts?

Thanks everyone.

Yes, replace all the O-rings. No need to overtighten the posts. The dip tube O-rings make the seal and well snugged up is plenty good enough. Sounds like you may have a bad poppet. I replace mine with these when any go south:

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/universal-poppet-fits-most-kegs.html

IMO, the universal poppets are superior to the OEM poppets. Good product! I like to use Lubrifilm (food grade silicone spray) on the gaskets. It's much less messy than the keg lube stuff and, unlike keg lube, it's easy to wash off when desired.

+1 on replace the poppet on the leaking post. I have liked the universal poppets as well and had good luck with them.

Back