Table sugar time table

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billk911

Reaction score
I am making a cream ale that calls for a 75 minute boil that uses 1 lb of table sugar. It does not call out for when I should put that into the boil. Any suggestions?

I don't think it really matters, as long as you give the 1 lb. of sugar time to dissolve completely in the boil ... No matter what, I don't believe the sugar will be evaporated no matter how long you boil.

I don't think it would really matter. You could put it at the beginning, middle, or end. I think the recipe would assume to put it in the beginning, but it really doesn't matter.

Edit: read post above.

With just a pound it probably doesn't matter, but if you ever need to add more than that in the future I'd double check the IBU math, especially if you're doing a partial boil. If the recipe thought you were adding at the beginning and you didn't, the gravity when you add your boiling hops would be lower and you'll wind up with higher IBUs. I definitely turned an APA into an IPA by adding some extract later and not thinking about it, and I'd think the same would apply to table sugar.

Most of us will add it at or near the end to reduce any caramelization.

+1 especially if you are making a cream ale and you want it to be lighter in color. You also might take the pot off the heat (or turn the heat off) when you add the sugar and stir like crazy. It doesn't take much to caramelize the sugar.

You simply need to ensure it dissolves and kills any bugs... Give it at least 10 minutes of boil time (and that's excessive).

Latest posts

Back