Sulfur emissions with Wyeast 3278 Lambic Blend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mccann51

Reaction score
I brewed my first beer with some friends the other day (I have some experience with mead-making); a sour stout with cherries and a bit of honey, 1.050 OG. We inoculated with Wy3278.

It started up fermenting pretty quickly and is chugging along nicely, but it's emitting a lot of sulfur smells; I had to move it out of my bedroom because it stunk the whole room up. It is currently in an unused bedroom which is only at 55F.

My two questions:
Is sulfur emission pretty common for the organisms found in the Lambic blend (ie Sacch, Brett, Lacto, Pedio)?
Is 55F too low a temp for these organisms? Wyeast says 65F, but I've found their available information to be a little lacking at times. I'd like to keep the carboy in the room because of the odor, but I don't want to ruin the beer.

Thanks.

Weird smell and appearance is standard for a Lambic. I have a gruit fermenting now with Lacto that is plenty sulfury.

55 is low, but if it is actively fermenting you’ll be fine. Lower temps will slow the development of acid and Brett funk, but it will get there eventually (I assume that room will get warmer as the year goes on as well).

Good luck, hope it turns out well.

Back