Yeast starter with brown spots

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishH2o

Reaction score
So last night I made a quick starter for tomoorow. When I let the starter settle today I noticed some brown specks in the bottom of my flask. It smells fine and I walked away from the starter while it boiled last night so I'm wondering if it's scorched DME. I usally let it simmer but it was at a hard boil for a good 10 minutes. Any thoughts. I'm about to dump it out but I thought I would ask first.

A picture would help. If that's not possible, how dark and what size are they?

I wouldn't throw it away, though; whatever it is, it's almost certainly not an infection. One day isn't enough time for anything to gain a foothold - not so much that you could see colonies.

You might have scorched it a little but it shouldn't affect your beer. Especially if you decant the liquid.

rjwhite41 said:
You might have scorched it a little but it shouldn't affect your beer. Especially if you decant the liquid.

Well I have it in the fridge now and everything looks like the last starters. I think I just scorched the DME I have not not smelled anything off. So I'm going to size up and make a 2 litter starter tomorrow. I'm going to brew on Tuesday. Im going to brew a very high gravity WIT... I know that wits are not suppose to be strong but I make all my beers strong.

My brews are... Big beers for big guys ;)

Back