Splitting a 5 Gallon Batch between Kegs and Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morkin

Reaction score
Need some suggestions on how to approach this. I have 5 gallons of Berliner Weisse in the Carboy. I have ordered 12 Belgian Bottles, corks, wires, and a Portuguese floor corker. That put me back a couple of bucks, and cannot afford to order any more bottles and corks at this time.

According to my calculations, I then have enough bottles to fill 2.3 gallons of Beer into the Belgians. Great news for Long storage. I want to keg the remaining 2.7 gallons.

I want 4.0 volumes of C02. Since I'm going to be adding sugar in order to bottle, should I just do a natural carb for the keg and do it all at the same time? If so, then how will this effect my keg sugar ratio..... I'd like to just add all the sugar into the bottling bucket, fill the bottles, then transfer the rest to my keg. But will that leave my keg over carbonated? I do realize I must purge the keg when only filing half of the keg. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

I would measure out 2.3 gallons an put a piece of tape at that level on your bottling bucket. Add your bottling sugar to the bucket and siphon over. When you hit that mark, pull out the siphon and restart it in the keg, where you can then choose to have a different amount of sugar, or just let the CO2 tank carb it up.

I've done that. I just put on the priming sugar into the bottling bucket and rack the beer into it. I then bottle as many as I wanted and then put the rest into the keg. It's easy that way.

I haven't done this but I've heard that bottling off the keg works fine. If you did that you wouldn't have to worry about the sugar at all.

why go with 2.3?? maybe try using a round number like 1 or 2 gallons and jsut fill the bottles until you are out. I recently started bottling about 1 gal and kegging 4 - thi sallows me to still have some older beers after the keg is gone.

My procedure:
Rack the first gallon into a 1 gallon fitted with a spout near the bottom.
Rack the remaining 4 gallons into a keg.
Hook up CO2 with regulator set at 30#
Fill with CO2
Purge a little air and the tank will again fill to 30# (this eliminates most if not all the O2)
Fill each of the bottles with beer and use the recommended amount of cooper drops.
Cap, store for 2-3 weeks then serve.

Note: when i first started brewing, i bottled everything but soon found it a hassle - priming with DME, filling all the bottles, capping, and making sure everything was sanitary.I found this to be not very consistant in flavor too. I went to stricly kegging but missed the fact that i had no bottles to pass out or save. So i bottle 1 gallon wich is 10 to 12 beers. I use the coopers drops now as i dont have to hassle with sugar or dme anymore and have had good carbination. Thats my 2 cents.

Latest posts

Back