Simcoe APA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eanmcnulty

Reaction score
I brewed an all Simcoe APA last fall. I didn't much care for it then, and I guess I didn't really know how to evaluate it either. I have been trying to find characteritics of Simcoe list somewhere online, and all I find is "bittering/aroma hop". Anyway, I just opened the last bottle, and it tasted like oranges. It was very interesting. When I first tasted it last fall I was either unable to determine the taste or it has changed since then.

I have been brewing pretty much the same grain bill (10# two-row &1# crystal 20L) and using one single hop type, adjusting the schedule accordingly. I want to learn the different hop charactertics. My all Amarillo was very good. I can't believe I didn't do an all Cascade first.

I know Cascade is supposed to give a citrus inthe form of grapefruit to the beer. Does anyone know if Simcoe is supposed to give orange flavor to beer? Or am I interpeting it as orange but really it is grapefruit?

Any ideas, opinions?

I have allways picked up a peach/appricott flavor out of Simcoe in late additions and dry hopping, and I really enjoy it in the right beers

I'm really happy that after 14 batches I have one hop I can identify. Thanks for the input.

Piney/Citrusy for me, but I see where you get orange.
I like Simcoe a lot, and think it's a great dry hop. It's got an edge to it, though, so it always tastes better to me after its aged a couple of months. Simcoe and Amarillo go together like peanut butter and chocolate.

I've had an all simcoe just once in the Weyerbacher Double Simcoe IPA..I got a bit of citrus like aroma with a light pine flavor. Overall an excellent beer.

Ditto on the Simcoe and Amarillo pairing, magic. Definitely a good hop on its own but works extremely well in combos. Simcoe and cascade is another great one and I don't doubt it would work well paired with just centennial. It tends to be citrusy/piny for me as well when used in quantity and adds a very resinous fruity character to a blend.

I'm drinking an Amarillo/Simcoe IPA right now. I get catty and a touch of citrus in the nose and the flavor is piny, spicy and upfront bitter. I've always found the combo to linger on the tongue too. I love it!

I am formulating the following hop combinations in recipes right now: Simcoe/Cascade, Simcoe/Amarillo, Simcoe/Centennial. After those experiments I will mix three of them. I figure I have enough experiments on pale ales for the next year just mixing these.

I am formulating the following hop combinations in recipes right now: Simcoe/Cascade, Simcoe/Amarillo, Simcoe/Centennial. After those experiments I will mix three of them. I figure I have enough experiments on pale ales for the next year just mixing these.

I hypothesize that all of those experiments will be successful. Sounds great.

Four hops there, not three. They should all still work together well though.

Simcoe/Cascade and Simcoe/Amarillo work well, as does
Simcoe/Centennial/Amarillo.

I have an IPA that I brew with Simcoe as the primary hop. I have always distinctly tasted grapfruit in this beer. I would like to think that's the Simcoe coming though. Weyerbaucer has a beer called Simcoe IPA thats about 10%ABV and it too tastes like grapfruits (to me). Hope this helps.

Back