Sanitizing MLT?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhirlingBastard

Reaction score
I have been brewing AG for a while now and I just relized that I do not run any Star San through my MLT before brewing.

Do you? Should I? I do rinsie it out after every use but never with any cleaner.

I do just because I can rinse the **** out of it and I'll still get a little mold in the braid(don't know mif you have a braided hose)

As far as I'm concerned, if it looks clean and has been rinsed out, the MLT is fine. The way I look at it is that even if there was something invisible living in there, I'm going to be boiling the wort that comes out within an hour or so & nothing will live through the boil. You are fine doing what you're doing.

Occasionally I will take the MLT apart and clean all the threads and whatnot thoroughly. I also replace gaskets. However, I never sanitize. There might be some use in this if you are finding your beers have a slightly sour taste to them - but otherwise IMHO you would be wasting sanitizer.

It's pre-boil. No need to sanitize. Rinse out maybe give it a good rub down every few batches but nothing really beyond that.

Thanks all. For some reason I have never thought about it and could not remember if we did it when I brewed with others.

No sour taste yet.

I think after this batch today I will take everything apart and clean.

I usually mix up a batch of about 2.5 gallons of star-san each brew day and use it from that day until the next - using it for bottling, kegging, transfers, etc. THe next brew day, I run this old batch through all my equipment. Not necessary, I'm sure, and I could probably keep the starsan longer (average 2 weeks between brewdays) but it makes me feel better :)

Back