40 qrt stockpot for 22.40 - >35.00 w shipping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow. Thanks for that. I have been in the market for a 60qt, and for $45 shipped, there is no way I could pass. Thank you very much for sharing

Although not heavy weight it should be a serviceable boil kettle, and super cheap, good find.:mug:

I called, the little cute girl on the other end said it also comes w/ the lid...Hell, I ordered the 60 qt. for $43.60 shipped to NJ. Will report back.

Too bad they are aluminum...it would be a gonga if it were stainless steel, I was almost excited.

Too bad they are aluminum...it would be a gonga if it were stainless steel, I was almost excited.

NEWBREWPOT.jpg
Just recieved my new brew pot. Total 33.77 with shipping. It even came with the lid. Someone said it was not very heavy duty but it is as nice as any I have seen in the regular stores and at least as heavy as those turkey fry pots people get started with.

Well I've been lurking for some time and am finally going to make the move to homebrewing and this is my FIRST peice of equipment!!! Thanks for this post...

sweet. just ordered a 60 qt, and a 4qt measured pitcher for sparge water. Also a couple of 8" restaurant fry pans for $2.56 each.

thanks for the hookup!

B

Got my 60qt yesterday. Had a couple of dents and dings. Something I would probably be ticked about if I had paid full price, but nothing more than aesthetic damage. Plus it is quite a bit thicker/heavier than I expected. Well worth the $45 shipped. Very good deal. I am hoping to put it to good use this weekend.

Now to get some more carboys and start 10 gallon batches....

My 60 qt. from Royal Palm Restaurant & Event Supply
I'm pleased. Not "heavy duty", probably more like a medium weight at 4 mm., with a lid no less, certainly worth $43.60 to my door!

HPIM0534.jpg

Since I've never brewed beer (yet), I went with the 40 qt.

Still gathering my equipment. Already have a burner from an old fryer, this should work well with it.

Nice site and nice find.

Out of curiosity, do you guys brew such large batches to warrant a 60 qt pot?

Since I've never brewed beer (yet), I went with the 40 qt.

Still gathering my equipment. Already have a burner from an old fryer, this should work well with it.

Nice site and nice find.

Out of curiosity, do you guys brew such large batches to warrant a 60 qt pot?

Yea, I mainly do 1/4 kegs, or 7.75 gallons, it was a stretch for my 11gal kettle. I picked up the 60 for the deal. Now I'm thinking I can two two 1/4 barrel batches simultaneously. You will find that the longer you brew...you start to find ways to cut labor....larger batches does that

Yea, I mainly do 1/4 kegs, or 7.75 gallons, it was a stretch for my 11gal kettle. I picked up the 60 for the deal. Now I'm thinking I can two two 1/4 barrel batches simultaneously. You will find that the longer you brew...you start to find ways to cut labor....larger batches does that

Be careful pouring that big pot. How hard is would it be to add valve on to these? I'm thinking with such thin aluminum it would be difficult.

Fairly thin to be welding on. I'm not sure about weldless fittings, but that might be an option. Myself, I just chill and then siphon to my fermenter. My turkey fryer pot has a spigot on it, but it gets clogged with hops too easily so i never use it.

terje

Not sure if I will add a valve...if one were to do it, I remember reading a post where someone recomended using larger stainless washers about the weldless valve to better support the hardware. Sounded like a good way to proceed.

Anyways, easy enough to siphon, or easier yet, I have seen brewers merely '"ladle" the cooled wort out of the kettle w/ a large sanitized pitcher, which will also aerate towards the fermenter.

Hey... just a heads up suggestion for anyone who ordered one of these "bargain / high value" kettles. The inside of mine was a bit rough, I spent about ten minutes with a piece of 400 wet/dry sandpaper on the interior of the kettle and it is now smooth as glass. I doubt this is really needed, but will probably make cleaning the pot in the future much easier.

If you dont have the sandpaper, I think a regular kitchen type scrubbie or a "scotch brite" would have the needed bite to season or pollish up the inside a bit.

This certainly isn't required, guess I'm just a bit fussy. Again...helluva deal!

Thank you Janet,
Just got my 60qt today. I could not be happier!
At 17 3/4" dia x 16" High it's good sized. At 1/8" thick, I think it is plenty heavy enough.
And at $38 to my doorstep...
That's priceless.
Cheers girl!:mug:
-David
100_7913.jpg

100_7914.jpg

Have any of you tried to add a ball valve and spigot to these? How would you go about doing that? I wouldn't mind attaching a weldless fitting to one of these if it's possible.

Have any of you tried to add a ball valve and spigot to these? How would you go about doing that? I wouldn't mind attaching a weldless fitting to one of these if it's possible.

Use a step-bit and drill! I have a weldless fitting on a similar pot myself.

The entire pot isn't 1/8" thick. If you look at the picture you can see the top inch or so is thicker than the rest of the pot. I got the 60qt pot myself and noticed that. It's still a great value and I boiled up 14+ gallons of water in it yesterday without a problem. It is very solid. I'll probably just siphon instead of adding a ball valve.

vtbeerman,

Yea, I noticed the same thing. Pretty clever design to make the pot more rigid IMO. I think the bottom of the pot is thicker than the sides but haven't confirmed it. For what it is worth, my pot weighs 12 - 13 pounds...which i calculated to be 1/8" "average" thickness...so I assume the bottom is thicker???

I think the weight of most 4 mm pots is similiar. Oddly, the pot from Royal Palm was initially listed as 4mm, but was changed to 1/8". Not sure what this all means. I guess if one were to drop it fom a height, it could dent, and you could hammer it out and have a kettle that is ugly?

I'm also curious about adding a valve, would the sidewall be sound enough, or would it need to be reinforced w/ stainless washers??

I just ordered 3 of the 60qt ones and they are without a doubt perfect for brewing. While they may not be the highest gauge alluminum they are very sturdy and would work for most any brewer. They are much thicker than any turkey fryer you will find.

I have beening doing AG's for about 1.5 years and have been looking for the perfect (cheap) kettle to create a single tier brew rig. I can't seem to find any sanke's around here that I can get without a full deposit ($75).

Now I just need to find some automation controls for turning the gas on an off as needed. Also, I need some kind of what to control these and record the brew day.

Cheers,
Tim

That is every bit as thick as the aluminum pot I bought for my first kettle. I'd even venture to say that it's the same exact one, minus the Sportsman's Warehouse logo on top. I had no problem at all adding a standard weld-less fitting to this pot, and it's far more durable than you might thing. Great buy, I spent almost $70 for the exact same thing.

I got my 40 quart today and already put my passive oxide layer on it. I am very happy with the purchase - even having to bend the lid to make it sit flush :)

Back