critique white grape-peach pyment recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewstead

Reaction score
I am new to the mead or in this case pyment field so it would be great to get some feedback

4 gallons of white grape-peach juice
4 lbs of clover honey
yeast nutrients
yeast energizer
1 packet of red star champagne
sg 1.100

has anyone had any experience with this sort of mead?

Actually, the OG is highly dependent upon the brix of the grape-peach juice - presently unknown.

Assume the juice is 19°B (1.078). Four gallons of that juice added to 4 lbs of honey would produce a must whose SG is ~1.104 and volume is 4.34 gallons. Since there was no mention of batch size, I'll assume no water is added.

Using the assumed 19°B juice with 8 lbs of honey yields an OG near 1.127... :)

it ws all juice no water 4lbs of honey i took a hydro reading and i got 1.100 actually a little more i rounding down

That looks good, I've used welches white grape peach juice (concentrate) before with great success. Be careful of oxygen when racking, wines and meads are much more suceptible to that than beers are. Otherwise, keep us posted!

Just my $.02: When I make a mead, it's going to have at least 2 lbs of honey per gallon, in conjunction with whatever other fermentables I'm using to make a pyment or melomel. In this case you'll have more of a wine chaptalized with honey rather than sugar. I'd cut back on the juice and at least double the honey. In order to technically qualify as a mead, 50% of the fermentables must come from the honey. This isn't the case here. Of course, it's your recipe and you can make it however you like it and call it whatever you want.

it was all juice no water 4lbs of honey i took a hydro reading and i got 1.100 actually a little more i rounding down
I see my calculation was right in the "ball park"... :rolleyes: :)

And, I aggree with summersolstice concerning the honey:juice ratio. The pyment I'm presently making has 9 lbs of honey for 4 gallons of barbera juice.

Latest posts

Back