Picnic taps in my keezer.. Where should I put them?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TBaGZ

Reaction score
I am in the process of building my keezer. Nothing fancy. Just a 7cuft with a collar to put in 4 or 5 kegs. I don't have the extra coin to buy my faucets (I do, but baby steps keep the wife happy) just yet so I am going to use picnic taps. Just trying to think what I should do with them when I am not actually pouring a pint. Should I put in something to hang them from? A bucket to set them in? Star San in the bucket? Hmmm... :drunk:

I just lay the tap on the top of the keg between a post and the handle. Something nice to hang them on would be nice though.
I don't think there is any need to put them in sanitizer.

Do not hang them from the lever. They would drain your keg into your keezer. I had to learn that the hard way, although I caught it after it had leaked a gallon or so. Even if you set it on top of the keg (which I would recommend also), watch that it isn't sitting on its lever.

Yeah, I just have two kegs in my 5 Cu Ft keezer, and 10 ft beer lines. I coil the lines up on top of the kegs and lay the taps on top. I haven't had any issues so far. :mug:

Well I wasn't going to hang it by the thumb lever, but was thinking of maybe some type of hook attached to the collar so I don't have to bend down into it every time get a pour.

Here is my solution for my upright, glass door keg cooler. Pull the tap a few inches out to pour and then slide back in over the drip tray. The entire thing remains at beer temperature, which helps resist any funky growth in the taps.

5891-5286.jpg

Boerderij - that configuration will likely promote foamy initial pours because of the temperature differentials.

My chest freezer came with a little wire basket that hangs at the top of the freezer. I put a small plastic bowl (drip tray) in the basket and hang the lines over the edge of the basket.

That's kind of along the lines of what I was thinking of raouliii.

I am in the process of building my keezer. Nothing fancy. Just a 7cuft with a collar to put in 4 or 5 kegs. I don't have the extra coin to buy my faucets (I do, but baby steps keep the wife happy) just yet so I am going to use picnic taps. Just trying to think what I should do with them when I am not actually pouring a pint. Should I put in something to hang them from? A bucket to set them in? Star San in the bucket? Hmmm... :drunk:

I pull my taps off every time im done and put them wrapped up on top of the kegs.

Trust me, it only takes one keg draining into the bottom of your freezer because a tap got stuck open after you shut the lid. Happened once with a big IPA i made that was just getting amazing, boom 4 gallons of beer gone in the 3 minutes i was away. Then got to spend the next hour and a half moving soaking towels of beer around the garage...

In my case i was doing what kh54s10 was doing but i dont recommend it. That day when i closed the lid like i had hundreds of times before, the tap got pinned between the top of the freezer lid and some of its own tubing, pulling the tap open and emptying the keg...it also blew out like 1/4th of my CO2 through the empty keg out the tap. Im just glad i went back downstairs to get someone else a beer, or else i would have woken up to a empty keg and empty CO2.

Well I have a 10" collar so there won't be a chance of the lid pinning the tap open like that.

Back