Got the fiancee brewing!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benbradford

Reaction score
I have been brewing for about 5 years now, and while she as always enjoyed the drinking of the beers I have made, she never really liked the brewing process. A couple of weeks ago, she said she wanted to make a beer, and has brewed 2 more time since! I usually make the larger batches (13-25) gallons and she makes the 5 gallon more experimental batches.

Works great!

jamibreing.jpg

mebreing.jpg

My wife does not drink the beer I brew very often but she helps out on brew day. Kind of nice:D

Nice set up as well

That is awesome congratulations! My Fiancee is not a huge fan of the wonderful smells of brew day but she stands it and supports me in what I do which is great.

My wife and I used to live in Stl not far from AB. So when I brew the smells remind us both of our first home together. While she doesn't drink, brew day is a nasal trip down memory lane. More power to you getting her involved.

Wooden facade on barrels is just for looks:) I do keep them inside, so I guess they need to look cool:)

That's awesome! The only feedback my wife will give me is, "God, That taste awful. It taste just like strong beer!"

I have been slowly turning my wife into a beer snob. She's always been a die hard miller lite girl but she's learning. She used to hate the smell of cooking wort, said it smelled like dog food. Now she likes it. Finally convinced her to help me brew a batch. She chose the style based on a beer we had at a local pub, a scotch ale aged in bourbon barrels. Mostly she just stood and watched while I explained the process. In the end it turned out to be the single best beer I have ever brewed.

The starter was for a 15 gallon batch on my system... Upgraded her setup recently to a nice mash tun and boil kettle. Have a pump for her that needs to be set up. I actually find her attention to detail is much better than mine. She kind of frets over the mash as it sits. I have to help with some of the more technical stuff but after her fourth batch, she is definitely comfortable with it. I usually set her up with the more technical and experimental batches. She made our first lager, an munich helles, just the other day. Freaked her out when I told her it was the hardest beer I had ever made:)

We can now brew 3 batches simultaneously, me 2 15 gallon batches, and she makes a third batch of usually 6 gallons on the stove. Cant be more efficient than that. Only brew every 2 months!

Back