Magnum as an "all around" bittering hop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasonsbeer

Reaction score
I'm thinking about planting hops this spring. Thinking long term about what I use to determine what to plant. I probably have room for 3-4 hills. I am thinking about planting a hill of Magnum with the intent of become a one size fits all solution for bittering.

I make a wide variety of styles - primarily stouts, oktoberfests, witbier, amber ales.

Logic is that a bittering hop adds little to no aroma or other flavors - why not standardize on one bittering hop for all beers.

Magnum is a good choice for a neutral bittering hop suitable to use in basically everything. It'll supply bittering and stay out of the way of your flavor and aroma hops. You'll get a tiny bit of flavor from it, but it is a faint noble/floral flavor when used @60+minutes.

Sierra Nevada uses Magnum for bittering, flavor and aroma hops in their Torpedo IPA. I'd say it's a good all around hop for all of those.

kirkosaurus said:
Sierra Nevada uses Magnum for bittering, flavor and aroma hops in their Torpedo IPA. I'd say it's a good all around hop for all of those.

I just used an ounce of magnum as a dry hop with some citra. It is a great all around hop. I have a torpedo type IPA recipe and it has magnum all through it.

Solid hop, but I agree that you don't know the AA% with home grown hops. Not to say that you can't or shouldn't do it, but something to think about. I grow cascades myself, for late additions.

Back