First red ale in primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppyale99

Reaction score
First attempt at extract brewing, and using a propane cooker worked great. used 1/2 boil (3 gal), nice clean boil the cascade pellet hops for bittering created a nice aroma, they will expand to a large looking volume in hop bag. wort chiller worked well until i noticed a small leak shooting water in the batch i quickly stopped by pressing finger over the hole. praying it didnt destroy it. note: (check all equiptment before using it). cooled super fast, added fresh water to fill batch amount and several switch backs from pot to primary achieved good aeration formed a thick foam on top, pitched yeast as i put on lid and set airlock. now hoping for active bubbler and sitting at 66°.... next up, break out pipe torch and fill hole in copper...

Make sure you use the right solder. Can't think of the chemical it's supposed to be free of. Having a brain fart. Sorry. Congrats on the first kit. Hopefully everything goes good. Best tip I can give is LEAVE YOUR BEER TO FERMENT. Best tip ever. Cheers and welcome to homebrewing.

Make sure you use the right solder. Can't think of the chemical it's supposed to be free of. Having a brain fart. Sorry. Congrats on the first kit. Hopefully everything goes good. Best tip I can give is LEAVE YOUR BEER TO FERMENT. Best tip ever. Cheers and welcome to homebrewing.
Having a little sip before sitting at the keyboard?:tank:

i will have to look into that about the solder, leak is above submerging point just down from hose connection so i think it will be ok. bubbler was filled to 1/2 point on both sides and has been pushed to the outflow side after 14hrs so were getting co2, hope i filled bubbler correct.

hoppyale99 said:
i will have to look into that about the solder, leak is above submerging point just down from hose connection so i think it will be ok. bubbler was filled to 1/2 point on both sides and has been pushed to the outflow side after 14hrs so were getting co2, hope i filled bubbler correct.

It's lead free. Was having a brain fart last night. It will state it on the solder package. When u say bubbler your talking about your airlock right? Should be a very slight line on it. Halfway is fine. If your bubbling I'd say your golden. Cheers.

will do that to fix leak on copper chiller, really freaked me out when i noticed it, i was running water through a hose. airlock is just poppin away so all seems to be moving on.

hoppyale99 said:
will do that to fix leak on copper chiller, really freaked me out when i noticed it, i was running water through a hose. airlock is just poppin away so all seems to be moving on.

Just now seen the comment sorry. Glad to hear the fermentation is going good. Keep me up to date and what not and post some pics. Cheers.

after two weeks in primary i racked into secondary carboy. all went good for first batch. great color, nice smell and very clean looking. just a small amount of trub. around 4.8% abv, if my very first reading is correct. very pleased at this point, going to give it 1 more week and bottle.

ForumRunner_20130113_102222.jpg

20130112_170429-1.jpg

gave it 10 days in secondary fermentor then racked to bottle. very clean nice taste and had a few what looked like carb bubbles already. bottled in ezcaps and giving 3weeks to carb and hoping for a nice red ale...

Looks like you had a very nice fermentation. I need to make the investment into the EZ cap bottles. What size did u get? I'm thinking about the 1 liter bottles.

i bought 16oz 3 cases ezcap from midwest and i had a small amount left to bottle in 3- 12oz, those will be great for checking progress... went really well for my first bottling attempt...

hoppyale99 said:
i bought 16oz 3 cases ezcap from midwest and i had a small amount left to bottle in 3- 12oz, those will be great for checking progress... went really well for my first bottling attempt...

I've also been thinking of getting some pet bottles. To check your beer carbonation. Just squeeze the bottle and if its hard and stiff the you know your glass bottles are carbed. Plus you can use them for a beer trade and not worry about them breaking. I'm hoping to get some of these 16 EZ caps next week tho. So 3 cases almost did a batch? Cheers

Regarding EZ Caps, I found buying 4 packs of Grolsch at my local beer store (Wegmans) worked out to $2 per bottle..which is about what they cost empty...and I got beer in mine that needs to be drained prior to bottling...however will I do that?! :ban::mug:

The PET bottles to check for carbing is a good idea.

I also bought some Heiny ponies to use (again, after proper draining..:drunk:) as my test bottles, no need to pop a 12-22oz bottle just to test it.

Beergazzi said:
Regarding EZ Caps, I found buying 4 packs of Grolsch at my local beer store (Wegmans) worked out to $2 per bottle..which is about what they cost empty...and I got beer in mine that needs to be drained prior to bottling...however will I do that?! :ban::mug:

The PET bottles to check for carbing is a good idea.

I also bought some Heiny ponies to use (again, after proper draining..:drunk:) as my test bottles, no need to pop a 12-22oz bottle just to test it.

Yea the pet bottles are great. Def for beer. Trades as well. I been meaning to get some of those as well

i dig the idea of full bottles to empty. i had just sold my bcs champ tickets and made a list of everything i can do to start homebrewing. so i bought everything...lol

Back