beer/wine/bread cross contamination

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhoop

Reaction score
I have wine and beer sitting right beside each other, and I have to transfer both today. As well, my wife is making bread today, and you can smell the yeast everywhere. Do I need to be worried about cross contamination of yeasts?

well the bread yeast is killed off in cooking and for one a lil baking yeast wont hurt anything its the same strain (Saccharomyces) as long as you rack each batch 1 at a time and sterilize properly i dont think you should have a problem

I know it's the same yeast, but they are different strains and all have different levels of attenuation. I don't want to kick off a secondary fermentation in the beer, although now that I'm talking this through, if I do the beer first, it can't get infected with the wine yeast, and the wine won't get infected by the beer yeast (its already attenuated past what the beer strain can handle). Now I guess it's just the bread yeast I've got to worry about. It's not the bread baking I'm worried about, it's the open starters in the kitchen that I can smell that could pose a problem.

I have personally crashed yeast starters right next to sour dough poolish, and a wild yeast experiment. I've had all these going at the same time in the kitchen on many occasions. I'm sure I'm asking for trouble, but I bathe everything in starsan and don't do two things at the same time. There is a lot more wild stuff in the air to be worried about.

Back