help!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigapinnc

Reaction score
I kegged last week. Set the co2 and left it in the fridge for a week. Was I out of town and didn't know I had a leak on the top of my out spicket I guess . Do you think it is ruined? Also can I just replace it with out it being ruined?

I kegged last week. Set the co2 and left it in the fridge for a week. Was I out of town and didn't know I had a leak on the top of my out spicket I guess . Do you think it is ruined? Also can I just replace it with out it being ruined?

It's a little difficult to answer your question. Is the spicket you are referring to the beer out post on the keg? And when you ask if "it" is ruined are your referring to the beer or the beer out post?

as long as you got sum co2 in there you should be fine.. i have a spray bottle starsan and spray it on all my connections when I hook up to check leaks everytime :mug:

It's a little difficult to answer your question. Is the spicket you are referring to the beer out post on the keg? And when you ask if "it" is ruined are your referring to the beer or the beer out post?

If the beer out post was leaking, wouldn't the beer be in a big puddle at the bottom of the refrigerator?

Ha ok it is the "in" post where the grey disconnect attaches. It is leaking out the top. I went ahead and replaced the post. My big fear was the beer becoming oxygenated over the past week with a leak

I don't think you have much to worry about. I doubt all the CO2 was leaking out of the disconnect so some was probably getting to the beer. When you got home was the keg pressurized? Did you pour a beer? Two good signs the CO2 even at a reduced pressure was keeping the O2 away.

Well I didnth pour a beer but I pulled the pin to check if.it had any co2 in it. It has a small bit of co2 come out but was def just a small bit. I replaced the post and immediately purged the keg

Bigapinnc said:
Well I didnth pour a beer but I pulled the pin to check if.it had any co2 in it. It has a small bit of co2 come out but was def just a small bit. I replaced the post and immediately purged the keg

did you replaced the post on the keg or the quick disconnect (gray)? I've had a couple quick disconnects crack over time and the o-ring not seating right and even vanishing (probably during cleaning). ;)

I had to replace to post. The disconnect wasn't the problem after buying a new one . I spray some sanitizer on the post after putting a little co2 on it. It was bubbled from the leak. Replaced it and it is sealed tight now. I am just afraid it became oxygenated

Ha ok it is the "in" post where the grey disconnect attaches. It is leaking out the top. I went ahead and replaced the post. My big fear was the beer becoming oxygenated over the past week with a leak
Was it leaking while the CO2 was connected to the keg or after you removed it?

If it's leaking while the CO2 line is attached, you can lose all of the air in your tank very quickly!

It's not as big of a problem if it leaks only after disconnecting the air. A trick to stopping the post from leaking is to connect the CO2 and crank the pressure to 30 psi. Then if you disconnect the air, the leak should be stopped. The added pressure will usually stop the leak. At that point, you can sometimes back the air off to serving pressure without it leaking again.

Back