Noob question for concentrate wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyinpig

Reaction score
Made a simple juice solution, 3 concentrate and 3 c sugar water, 1 gal total. started yeast (bourgovin rc 212) at 106F, put everything into glass bottle at temp of 98. Should I place airlock right away or just cover with cloth/napkin for a 7 days then stir up and airlock?

flyinpig said:
Made a simple juice solution, 3 concentrate and 3 c sugar water, 1 gal total. started yeast (bourgovin rc 212) at 106F, put everything into glass bottle at temp of 98. Should I place airlock right away or just cover with cloth/napkin for a 7 days then stir up and airlock?

Also, OG 1044

Temp seems a bit high for wine yeast, but give it a day or so at room temp and see if it takes off.

Just a loose cover to keep out the bigger bugs until it slows down, then airlock it.

I airlock right away. Is there a reason to wait that I'm missing?

Some people leave a cloth on at first when fermenting in a bucket to get easy access early on for stirring/adding nutrients etc. This is especially done in mead. I would say go ahead and put on the air lock.

Loose cover gives the foam some place to go instead of building up pressure and causing a wine volcano. It also allows easy access to stir or punch the cap down.

Either way works...

Thanks, I did go ahead and air locked with instructions to the wife to remove lock if we get to much foam. Action started within a couple hours, we are cooking along!

Loose cover gives the foam some place to go instead of building up pressure and causing a wine volcano. It also allows easy access to stir or punch the cap down.

Either way works...

wine volcanoes are cool...until you gotta clean em up.

So I checked SG last week, 1000, check it again today, 1040!? Pretty sweet still, but I am 99.9% sure that I did not err. when taking readings. What's up?

That's what has me scratching my head...yes. The airlock has very little action, it is a simple concentrate , sugar and a yeast packet.

what temps did you take your readings at each time? Did you take your first hydro sample at 98f?

No, I let it cool down to 70, the second reading was also taken at 70 ( room temp). It has an almost frothy feel to it when you take a drink.

If you are using the standard triple scale hydrometer, I would bet that you read the wrong scale on one of your readings. Or you had too big a "sample" and weren't seeing straight. :drunk: Take another measurement to confirm which is correct.

Do the carbonation bubbles affect readings? I was making a skeeter pee that went from a 1060 to a 1066 to a 1070 on consecutive days at 68 degrees, starting 3 days after pitching. I could taste the slight alcohol taste so I know it is working... I just ignored it and let it keep working. In a month i am sure it will work it's self out.

That is what I was wondering, it has a bit of carbonation feel to it, can taste a bit of alcohol to it. I am also not sure how the yeast I used would affect flavor etc.

Latest posts

Back