sanitized?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankfortbrew

Reaction score
my first batch of brew is currently in the closet letting the yeast do its thing ( I am doing a one gallon jug to start out) when I realized I only washed out the jug and didnt really sanitize it. I also used tap water... is this batch comprimised?????

Only one way to tell, let it ride out. Sometimes tap water can be a problem if you're doing all grain, but I bet it's fine. Let it ferment for a few weeks, then bottle/carbonate depending on what you're wanting to do with it. What kind of recipe was it?

Of course try to sanitize in the future, but my guess is that you'll be fine. :mug:

its a kit. pale ale. I was told this was the best way to go first time. it is a malt extract

Yea, you're probably fine. Just a lesson for next time.

How are your fermentation temperatures? Noobs have issues with this- you want your BEER (not ambient room) to be in the LOW 60s (F). Fermentation can heat up your beer as much as 10F (ask me how I know) and any temperatures above 70F in the beer will give you all sorts of weird flavors that you don't want and won't go away with age.

Back