Pumpkin Saison?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolly

Reaction score
I was thinking about brewing KingBrians Samhain Pumpkin ale recipe, but using the 3711 french saison yeast instead of Denny's favorite.

Would this work? Has anybody done this? The base malt is all golden promise & maris otter. The recipe is not Saison-like in any regard, but it seems to me like that's the beauty of a saison is that it doesn't have a narrow definition, correct?

Indeed! I'm making a pumpkin saison with the Belgian saison yeast tonight. I have very high hopes for it ;).

Aside from that, in keeping with the Belgian tradition their recipes changed over the years based on what they could get their hands on. They have a tradition of making good beer, but not being married to any particular ingredients, they more generally relied on how to get the best results out of what they had to work with. The Belgians were innovators throughout history in terms of brewing.

So it may not be true to any traditional style but why not?

This idea is going to be my annual pumpkin. Awesome idea/suggestion. Thanks!

So what recipes are you guys going to make? I'm thinking about making it a Brown Pumpkin Saison. What color does pumpkin impart when mashed?

Depends on the other grains but generally you will get a darker orange color more on the darker orange side.

Back