Safale s-33

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonmohno

Reaction score
I used this for the first time in a French and a belgain pale ale. I got what i thought may be a lacto infection. After digging through infection threads, im not getting answers, in a thread with a french ale i had seen the same white paint like film that breaks apart like iceberges, and it saying that its from the yeast curdles and not an infection.
Im a bit confused is this normal for s-33 or these types of yeast to do this during fermentation. I thought maybe it was from my wooden lids on my jars i use as i have seen green mold around the plug.So far 2 out of 3 i used this same yeast had this happen my first second was ok then third had it all from one pack i splitt up between 3 differnt weeks and 3 different beers.
I havent seen a confirmed lacto infection thread,i dont want bottle bombs but i also dont want to worry for nothing if i dont have to.
I actually bottled these batches but stuck them in the fridge after 2 wks and confirmed carbonation, i took them out as im not shure if its a normal part/character of this s-33 yeast. I would like to condition them to taste better.As 2 months is usually my minimum before i would decide to chill them all.

No, I think that is a lactobacillus infection.

For what it's worth I have had this on a couple of beers and just racked out from under it and never had a problem. In fact on one batch I had like that, I opened up a bottle about 2 years later with no hint of infection and the beer tasted fantastic.

So would i assume to just look out for a ring at the surface and do infections stay cloudy?Even after refrigeration?
When i racked both of these i didnt get much of any of these bits at all for botteling.So if the bottles got it, then would a flaky layer form on top of the surface after awhile?

Yeah if they are infected, you'd get pretty much the same thing in the bottle as what you saw in the fermenter.

What is the gravity of the beer now?

My first french Domaine du page (sub-clone)ended @1.018-had a high mash,second belgian pale ale1.010 -no visible signs of infection, then i just bottled a scottish 80 fg of1.011, all with s-33.All 3-4 week fermentation @67ish deg. I also used a little baking soda and a bit of gypsum in a few,for a while i thought maybe it was baking soda surfacing out because i never used it until recently in a mash.
They are all bottled but have been pondering what to do as im unshure what i have here, for now ill just isolate them in a tub and let them condition and inspect them/check carbonation every few weeks i guess.

Back