Brewed my first GF batches today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
racked and tasted my 2 batches yesterday ...tasted nice so far and can't wait till they are carbonated.

My beers are very murky ...is this normal for gf homebrew?

Murky? As in cloudy? Or just Dark?

Which recipes did you use?

Most of mine have been clear, though somewhat darker. Even my lagers are darker. (Though my last lager is still cloudy, but it's only a month or two old, so that won't be ready for a while.)

racked and tasted my 2 batches yesterday ...tasted nice so far and can't wait till they are carbonated.

My beers are very murky ...is this normal for gf homebrew?

Mine are usually murky until they've been in the bottle for a couple of days. Then they clear up quickly.

Hey neighbor, murky beer still tastes good. I would hold off on the enzyme and just let them sit as long as you can stand it. After bottling, let them sit in the fridge further if still cloudy. Murky or not, you still are going to have a nice beer.:mug:

used two recipies I found here in the gf thread

2.5 Gallon:

3.3 lbs. Briess White Sorghum Syrup (
1.25 lbs. BriesSweetTM Brown Rice Syrup (45 high)
3 oz. Grandma's Original Unsulphured Molasses

Willamette Hops
Fuggle Hops

used Dry Nottingham ale yeast for both

2.5 Gallon:

3.3 lbs Sorghum Syrup (15 min)
0.7 lb Buckwheat, roasted (40 SRM)
0.7 lb Millet, Roasted (40 SRM)
5 oz Maple Syrup (35 SRM)
5 oz Blackstrap Molasses (80 SRM)
4 oz Dark Candi Sugar (275 SRM)

Fuggles, pellet 4.8% (60 min)
East Kent Goldings, leaf 4.2% (15 min)

I've used Nottingham for similar recipes and it has cleared well. Windsor, on the other hand (same company) is a non-flocculating strand and does not settle - very murky. They look exactly the same in the pkg and chance you got mixed up?

I actually prefer the Windsor, despite the murkiness because of the lower attenuation. Nottingham gives me beers that are just too dry.

I will try and remember to take pictures when I bottle this weekend and then again once it has bottle conditioned

DSC02573.jpg

+1 RDWHAHB
My started cloudy and everyone told me the same thing. just let sit and everything will be fine.

Secondary fermentation for 2-4 weeks does great things for clarity. Also depnding on what your mashing or steeping hunt around for enzymes

Back