My Nanobrewery T-Shirts!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phunhog

Reaction score
Hey folks,
I finally have my t-shirts done for my "nanobrewery"...which is a work in progress. They can be seen here.http://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.199411253428554.47044.102323289804018
I am having a tasting party this weekend and am planning on selling the shirts. So my question is...what would you spend on this shirt? I did some searching and most established brewery t-shirts go for 18-25 dollars. I was hoping to sell them for 18-20 dollars. What do you think? I know I can always get some honest opinions from HBT! Thanks!:mug:Al

I say $15. The big one's can charge more b/c they are more well known, since you are an upstart I would charge a little less so more people buy them and subsequently get the word out better

well how much did you pay for them? you should definitely want to make some money on them but if they are too expensive and your beer doesn't get people to open up their wallets, they may not sell.

I paid right around 10 bucks a shirt. All the people at the tasting party are my friends and family so they want to support me. They are getting 5 different beers on tap for free.....that is why I don't think asking a little more for the shirts is out of line.

$18 is a 45% margin. $20 is a 50% margin. That's not outrageous. I'm assuming you want to make a profit on them because if it was just about getting your name out, you would be giving them away for free and eating the cost.

I like the design (reminds me of the Sierra Nevada style) but here's a couple of things I'd prefer...(keep in mind they're just my opinions and I'm not a pro t-shirt maker or anything).

1. The font on the front is too hard to read. I think it would look better as a black t-shirt or something dark green/blue.

2. The placement on the front doesn't look right. I think it should either be larger, or smaller and placed over the left side of the chest. Going across the chest it just looks too close to the neck...could just be the picture or something though.

Just some of my own opinions, but congrats on the shirts!

I really hope that's a wheat or rye beer man! Otherwise, send me your address and I'll kick you down some gelatin.

Otherwise, fine work there. I'd buy one if I liked your beer.

Yep...Wildfire Wheat! Basic American Wheat hopped with Cascades....

How did you get them for $10!! Ive been trying to source T_shirts and I cant find anything under $25!

I just went to my local sign/screen printing company. Now these aren't silkscreened but rather printed with a special ink jet printer. The nice thing is that there is no screen to set up. I can also order a variety of shirts easily and no minimum order. I am really happy with the finished product!! Cheers. Al

I just went to my local sign/screen printing company. Now these aren't silkscreened but rather printed with a special ink jet printer. The nice thing is that there is no screen to set up. I can also order a variety of shirts easily and no minimum order. I am really happy with the finished product!! Cheers. Al

Did they print the design right on the shirt or was it a heat transfer?

The image gets printed right on the shirt. Actually it almost looks like the ink actually embeds itself into the actual fabric. That is something we really liked because sometimes a big silkscreen feels too "crunchy" and stiff. I know they heat treat them after printing to "set" the ink.

The shirt's printed with a fairly new technology call DTG, "direct to garment" printing. I have a shirt like this and they look and feel much better than a screen printed t-shirt. There are numerous websites on line that do this, however I have never seen a shirt that cheap! That company was a great find for you.

Sounds like a different name for what they call "digital sublimation" looks great, costs a little less then silk screen. Only downside has been less durability in the laundry

Sounds like a different name for what they call "digital sublimation" looks great, costs a little less then silk screen. Only downside has been less durability in the laundry

Well I guess that means they buy more shirts;)

I'd say give half of the shirts away for free and sell the other half for $10. People will think you're a nice guy(which I'm sure you are anyways) for giving out a shirt, and then recommend people to your brewery. The other half of the people will think shelling out $10 for a shirt is dirt cheap, buy them, and you'll have lots of people promoting your brand.
If you bought 50 shirts at $10/per and give half away and sell the others for the $10, it basically cost you $250 for advertising. Can't think of any other advertising that's that cheap and will get you face to face with 50 potential clients.

Thanks for all the great input! So......18-20 bucks a shirt should be good? I figure people are getting 6 beers on tap and a nice shirt. I don't think 20 dollars is too much to ask.....not that they have to buy a shirt.

Look at it this way. If you go on a brewery tour, you can pretty much expect that you are going to pay more for merch at the brewery than you would if you bought it at the local Walmart. That's the way I look at your gathering.

$20 for a tshirt is typically more than what I'd spend, but if it's marketed as $20 for a tshirt and a couple of quality beers I'm in every time.

Care to share that american wheat recipe? :mug:

Hey folks,
I finally have my t-shirts done for my "nanobrewery"...which is a work in progress. They can be seen here.http://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.199411253428554.47044.102323289804018
I am having a tasting party this weekend and am planning on selling the shirts. So my question is...what would you spend on this shirt? I did some searching and most established brewery t-shirts go for 18-25 dollars. I was hoping to sell them for 18-20 dollars. What do you think? I know I can always get some honest opinions from HBT! Thanks!:mug:Al

sell the shirts as close to cost as possible... i see it as cost effective marketing... the more shirts you get out there the more patrons you may see.

It looks like a quality t-shirt. I'd have no problem paying 18-20 in an established brewery for one. But since is a pre-opening deal and it's family and friends, I'd sell them for $15, then $20 once you open your brew pub.

Tasting party in Ventura this weekend. Hey, I'm gonna be in Ventura this weekend.

Two Trees is a great local name btw. I also like how your logo resembles those vintage fruit crate labels from the area.

As for $20 for a t-shirt, I am a cheap bastard and refuse to spend more than $10 on a t-shirt. That being said, if you allow for the beer tasting, it doesn't sound unreasonable.

Tasting party in Ventura this weekend. Hey, I'm gonna be in Ventura this weekend.

Two Trees is a great local name btw. I also like how your logo resembles those vintage fruit crate labels from the area.

As for $20 for a t-shirt, I am a cheap bastard and refuse to spend more than $10 on a t-shirt. That being said, if you allow for the beer tasting, it doesn't sound unreasonable.

Glad you picked up on the fruit crate label theme!!:rockin: That is exactly what we were going for since Ventura county has such a strong agriculture history.

The tasting is already full:( We invited the world thinking half might show up. Nope. Almost everybody wanted to come. So now I am going to have close to 100 people in my backyard:eek: But become a fan on FB so you will know when our Oktoberfest party is! Cheers! Al

Well the tasting party was fantastic! Sold the shirts for 20 bucks and almost sold all 40 of them. I gave a few away for free to friends who helped with the brewery. I guess people didn't mind paying a little extra considering they were getting 6 beers on tap for FREE!! Cheers. Al

Back