Trellis Material

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAMPLER

Reaction score
In passing I thought that I had read that some people have used 1 inch EMP (electrical conduit). I heading to HD tonight to pick up all my piece and hopefully have this ting in the ground tomorrow (weather pedning since it pouring out now ... ekkk).

Can anyone confirm the use of 1 inch EMP as a good trellis material? My other alternative was going to be 3 in PVC but it creates an eye sore and isn't well liked by the wife.

Thanks

I use the 1 inch EMP. It works nicely, but you'll have to get different sizes to get it tall enough. I bought 1 inch ID for the base and 1 inch OD for the extention. Put pins in it so I can raise it up and down.

I think the trick is to consider how high you want the trellis to be and then consider the wind. I've mentioned this story before, but I knew a guy that built a trellis about 20' tall out of the metal bars used to make chain link fence. It *seemed* sturdy, until a nice wind storm bent it half and it fell on top of his car.

Any thoughts on galvanized threaded pipe? Maybe 3/4 inch?

After looking at mine...I didn't go with electrical conduit. I originally had planned on it, but changed my mind at the hardware store. I did go with the threaded pipe. I'll try to get a picture up today.

I have done a couple in copper pipe that look fantastic. I use cord for most of my hops though. Just because of where I have them.

I really enjoy building out of the copper pipe and it looks cool after a few months

I think they must have had the bins mislabeled... when I bought the pipe last year, I was paying 3 or 4 $ for a 10' section. They are triple that now. Crazy. I will check my reciepts, but I bought 40' and a couple of fittings for $20.

I guess I won, somehow!

copper trellis? sounds nice but really expensive. galvanized pipe will rust after a while. i would use the gray conduit or wood.

All you would need to do is spray paint the galvanized pipe with Rustoleum or something similar and you shouldn't have to worry about the rust. A prime example can be seen on many brew rigs with hard pipe gas lines.

Here's those pictures I said I'd post...

hop1.jpg

hop2.jpg

hop3.jpg

You can't really tell in this last one...but there's pins in there so I can raise and lower the poles.
hop4v.jpg

Back