Grapefruit Flavor in Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torchiest

Reaction score
So I tried a Warrior IPA by Left Hand Brewing tonight. Didn't like it at all! It smelled pretty good, citrusy & hoppy, but the flavor was ALL grapefruit. I am not a fan of grapefruit at all. So now I'm paranoid about grapefruit flavors in my homebrew.

I'm planning on brewing an Imperial IPA in the very near future. I've been working on a recipe for awhile. The latest version calls for using Summit, Centennial, and Cascade hops. I've used Cascade a number of times, and I used Centennial in my recent wit. Didn't seem to notice any major grapefruit character, although I know that is part of the flavor/aroma profile for Cascade.

What I'd like to do is maximize the citrus aspect of my hops, but minimize or completely avoid any grapefruit taste. The disturbing/confusing thing is that Dogfish Head 90 Minute Imperial IPA is my favorite IPA of all, but it uses Warrior hops too. I'm not trying to clone DFH 90, but I'm trying to do something in that general area.

In summary, if anyone has good hop varieties to suggest, I would be grateful. I've looked through BeerSmith, and I'm pretty happy with the three I picked, but maybe I'm overlooking a better choice. Thanks!

My IPA has a ton of grapefruit flavor, and two of the three varities I used were Cascade and Centenial (the third being Amarillo). So, you're walking a fine line.

OTOH, I did a pale ale last summer with a lot of Fuggles and Kent Goldings that somebody else picked up a LOT of grapefruit flavor with (although I don't), so much of this is also based on your own perceptions.

the_bird said:
My IPA has a ton of grapefruit flavor, and two of the three varities I used were Cascade and Centenial (the third being Amarillo). So, you're walking a fine line.

OTOH, I did a pale ale last summer with a lot of Fuggles and Kent Goldings that somebody else picked up a LOT of grapefruit flavor with (although I don't), so much of this is also based on your own perceptions.

Which was the Goodlife IPA that you sent me?

Yeah, I really don't get where the grapefruit came from. That's odd. As I said, I'm really glad you enjoyed it, but those aren't hops that you generally associate with citrus or grapefruit. You're doing the recipe, right? I'm really interested in how it comes out for you.

Well, I'm set on the Summit, as it's supposed to have a major orange/tangerine component, and it's 18% alpha! The DFH 90 clone recipe I saw called for Amarillo, Warrior, and Simcoe.

The IPA I'm currently drinking used Nugget (60 min), Simcoe (15 min), and Cascade (5 min and dry hop 1 week before bottling). I let it sit 6 weeks from boil to bottling, so nine weeks total.

It's not grapefruity, and it tastes pretty good. And I don't even really like IPAs that much.

Okay, I think I'm going to try Summit, Amarillo, and Cascade, since they don't have Simcoe at the LHBS. One grapefruity hop will be okay, and since it's the mildest of the three, it shouldn't overpower the beer at all. Thanks for the input.

Back