New Stout Label

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolf

Reaction score
Working on a new label for my oatmeal stout. Here it is with white and with black lettering. Let me know which you prefer or if anyone has any other suggestions. I'm not sure I'm in love with the font, but couldn't find anything I liked better.

grandmastoutwhite.jpg

grandmastout2.jpg

Looks fantastic Wolf, I love it! One suggestion though, perhaps you can blend the font a bit or maybe even incorporate the brownish/goldish tones of the background. The jagged edges (pixelation) on the text are a personal pet peeve and I think this could help. I like the white text better for that reason.

zoebisch01 said:
Looks fantastic Wolf, I love it! One suggestion though, perhaps you can blend the font a bit or maybe even incorporate the brownish/goldish tones of the background. The jagged edges (pixelation) on the text are a personal pet peeve and I think this could help. I like the white text better for that reason.

I see what you mean. Keep in mind, this is twice actual size, so it will be less apparent when printed out, but I would still like to blend it a bit better as you said. I really don't know how to do that though, I'm pretty much blindly groping my way through Power Point at work :) Wouldn't you say that If I incorporate the golden background tones it would make the text hard to read?

Okay, for the heck of it here's another with text closer to the golden hues in the pic. I put the lines in two different colors just to see both.

grandmastoutgolden.jpg

Yeah the Gold looks real nice. If you really want to get fancy, maybe a slighly darkened gold shadow or edge lining....just a brainstorm...:cross:

Wow, this is very helpful.

zoebisch01 said:
Yeah the Gold looks real nice. If you really want to get fancy, maybe a slighly darkened gold shadow or edge lining....just a brainstorm...:cross:

I had thought text lining would like nice to, but I don't know how to do that.

orfy said:
Yep gold with a dark brown drop shadow would look good.

I did figure out shadowing. Dark brown completely blended in, so I used a lighter color.

Also, now that I've seen it I like the two different color text lines in there. Thoughts?

2806-grandmastoutshadow.jpg

Wolf said:
Wow, this is very helpful.

I had thought text lining would like nice to, but I don't know how to do that.

I did figure out shadowing. Dark brown completely blended in, so I used a lighter color.

Also, now that I've seen it I like the two different color text lines in there. Thoughts?

2806-grandmastoutshadow.jpg
I liked it with just the gold. This version makes me a bit dizzy though...blurred vision. :drunk: How about just an outline around the gold? I do like the two different colors of text lines.

That drop shadow makes it tough to read. I'd bring it in tighter and darken it.

I like the label! Good idea

Is there a way to bring the shadow in closer? It is kind of double vision. (after a few homebrews it might be quadruple vision :D). Maybe you could hand edit the text, you know zoom in real close and with a brush tool or something make the text lining. 'Course it all depends on the software you are using. It is a great label, imo and it is worth any time you put into it.

Yeah, right now I'm just doing it in Powerpoint while at work (slow days during the holidays) so I'm limited in what I can do.
I think I'll download and figure out GIMP at home and give that a try.
I'm only doing labels for the beers that knock my socks off and this was one of them. It'll be worth the time.

Thanks for all the input everyone!

Wolf said:
Yeah, right now I'm just doing it in Powerpoint while at work (slow days during the holidays) so I'm limited in what I can do.
I think I'll download and figure out GIMP at home and give that a try.
I'm only doing labels for the beers that knock my socks off and this was one of them. It'll be worth the time.

Thanks for all the input everyone!

Here's what you do with the GIMP, (imo). Take your label, then go in with a dark color, real fine pen set to like %60 opacity. Zoom in and shadow it. When you are done, zoom back out. Then take out the smudge tool (again use a lower opacity) and you can blend it smooth. Remember to save between steps and to pause once in a while and look at it fullscreen. This technique works very nicely. GIMP has some cool @ss stuff in it.

Back