Kegerator - C02 component placement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can you put the C02 cylinder on its side or does it have to be upright?
C02_ComponentPlacement.jpg

Would you put the regulators under the kegs?

I checked the level of five gallons in a corny... it doesn't reach the inlet tube so I don't see where I will ever get flow back into the regulators even though they are below the kegs.

That is a plastic lid floating on top of the water in the corny to give some perspective of the water level in comparison with the inlet tube.
CornyFiveGallonLevel.jpg

Other pics... beer and all of the toys that go with it are truly things of beauty! :tank:

Attachments

• FridgeTaps_CloseUp.jpg
    FridgeTaps_CloseUp.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 197
  • FridgeTaps.jpg
    FridgeTaps.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 190
  • InsideFridge_TopOfCornys.jpg
    InsideFridge_TopOfCornys.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 195
I'm not an expert, but I've heard that having the co2 on its side is bad becasue the co2 is actually liquid inside there... and I guess it could get into your regulator or your lines... I'm not exactly sure, but I'll do a little research and see what I can find...

Jester

I agree with Jester.... seems like that would cause liquid CO2 to go into the regulator.

That tank should sit upright!! As mentioned above, it the gas of the top that you want!!

As for the regulators...you should be fine to put them where ever you want!

IGOR

No, not neccesarily.

If you decide to lay it on its side your going to have to put a anti-siphon tube into the tank. Im not sure if this is something you can do, or if you have to have it professionally done. Basically what it is, is a long tube inserted into the tank, and bent upward at the bottom. This keeps the opening out of the liquid. I've done quite a few of them for small 20oz tanks. Nothing this size though. Theory should still work with this though.

heres a rough sketch, but you get the idea

astube1.jpg

Chimone said:
No, not neccesarily.

If you decide to lay it on its side your going to have to put a anti-siphon tube into the tank. Im not sure if this is something you can do, or if you have to have it professionally done. Basically what it is, is a long tube inserted into the tank, and bent upward at the bottom. This keeps the opening out of the liquid. I've done quite a few of them for small 20oz tanks. Nothing this size though. Theory should still work with this though.

heres a rough sketch, but you get the idea

astube1.jpg

wow, what a badass idea! This should help me save a ton of space in my fridge!

Keep the cylinder on the outside of the fridge. Keeping it on it's side doesn't sound like a good idea and I'm not sure how safe it is to modifying your CO2 tank.
Also, if you do put the tank outside, I've heard you have to be careful that you don't drill through the cooling lines. The lines could be in the back or sides of your fridge.

After reading up on it a bit, I believe I will just put it upright in the top portion of the fridge. I don't know if I will ever need space for five corny's in there but if I do get to that point, maybe I will look at the 'Anti-Siphon' idea. As far as putting it outside the fridge, I will keep it inside. This has worked many years for me with no problems. I had this fridge set up for normal sanke kegs for a long time and the bottle and regulator were inside.

I know a couple airsmiths. Next time I see them I will ask them about the anti-siphon setup on a larger tank and let you guys know.

Chimone said:
I know a couple airsmiths. Next time I see them I will ask them about the anti-siphon setup on a larger tank and let you guys know.

Ask them when their next tour is going to be too, I need another concert T-shirt :fro:

Back