Anybody else using BKYeast's Cantillon Brett?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NcBrewer35 said:
I would check your gravity before you assume it is done. Brett likes to take a nap before it finishes the last bit of fermentation. I usually see it go for about 1 or 2 weeks and then it will seem to stall and not do anything for a few weeks and then it picks right back up again.

This is not ALL strains of brett but many of them do this.

It's down to 1.000. How much more could it possibly go?

NcBrewer35 said:
I would check your gravity before you assume it is done. Brett likes to take a nap before it finishes the last bit of fermentation. I usually see it go for about 1 or 2 weeks and then it will seem to stall and not do anything for a few weeks and then it picks right back up again.

This is not ALL strains of brett but many of them do this.

To add a little to this, I think it was chad that said secondary transfers and dry hop additions can kick start that last little bit or that he noticed when doing secondary transfers it would kick the fermentation back up.

It's down to 1.000. How much more could it possibly go?

Ha, sorry I missed the part where you said it was already at 1.000. Obviously you cant go any lower. I think you are right about Chad stating that transfers to secondary and dry hopping can kick start the yeast back up.

Ha, sorry I missed the part where you said it was already at 1.000. Obviously you cant go any lower. I think you are right about Chad stating that transfers to secondary and dry hopping can kick start the yeast back up.

Fermentation certainly COULD go below 1.000 because alcohol is lighter than water, but it is very rare in beer. Much more common in wine/cider because of their high concentration of short sugars.

I often use a sacc/brett blend for my saisons. Smaller ones, around 1.038, always finish at 1.000 when I dry hop. I was happy with the hop aroma from whirpool additions on the last batch, so I didn't dryhop and didn't rack to a second vessel, and the beer finished at 1.004.

TNGabe said:
I often use a sacc/brett blend for my saisons. Smaller ones, around 1.038, always finish at 1.000 when I dry hop. I was happy with the hop aroma from whirpool additions on the last batch, so I didn't dryhop and didn't rack to a second vessel, and the beer finished at 1.004.

As far as it finishing at 1.004, I've had the same results, with time it'll finish low always. If you want to speed it up just add dry hops or transfer it and it'll drop the last couple points relatively fast.

I received a vial of C3 today. I'm leaving town for a few weeks soon and I don't have time/space to brew with it before I go, so I'm going to add some to a saison at bottling and slant some to grow up after I get back. Has anyone used C3 yet? What were your results like?

I'm ordering ordering some C3 from him ASAP (seems he still has some stock) but he's out of C2. I REALLY wanna get my hands on some C2, does anyone have a culture I can get? I can pay ya, trade beer, etc. It doesn't even have to be a vial or anything, just a bottle of beer with some of the bretties floating around is fine!
Please let me know!!!

Just wondering if anyone else out here participated in the yeast exchange with Dmitri from BKYeast.wordpress.com and hoping to collect different experiences and observations here in one place, like the fantastic thread on Brett Drie. I have seen one other blogger (jeffreycrane.blogspot.com) who made some starters with them and his descriptions varied significantly from Dmitri's initial observations.

So far I have only woken up the first strain and used it as a primary strain in a wit style beer. 5# pils, 5# wheat, .5# rolled oats, and 30 IBU's of late addition Citra and Galaxy hops. OG was 1.057 and I pitched a healthy 1600 ml starter. It was very slow to start and I ended up pitching another 1000 ml starter after 4 days.

Since then it took off and the airlock has been very aromatic, progressing from lemon and green apple to an intense funky, ripe melon and tropical mango. It's been in primary for 2 weeks now, and it's only down to 1.030, but the sample tastes great. Citrus, apples, and some pleasant acidity.

I'm planning to try this strain with either WY3711 or 3944 next.

Does anyone else have any data to share?

Sorry to hijack.

Did you model this beer after Anchorage Brewings Galaxy White IPA, and if so how did it compare?

Cheers

Sorry to hijack.

Did you model this beer after Anchorage Brewings Galaxy White IPA, and if so how did it compare?

Cheers

Galaxy is a whit strain primary and then bottled with brett, so the flavor profile is going to be very different. It's the only clone I've tried so far and I've got to say the kumquats seem key. I subbed oranges and I think it made a big difference. That and Gabe Fletcher is just a really talented brewer.

skibb said:
I'm ordering ordering some C3 from him ASAP (seems he still has some stock) but he's out of C2. I REALLY wanna get my hands on some C2, does anyone have a culture I can get? I can pay ya, trade beer, etc. It doesn't even have to be a vial or anything, just a bottle of beer with some of the bretties floating around is fine!
Please let me know!!!

If you get c3, I can trade you some c2 for some c3

I just got an email back - no C3 right now though I guess I'm on a waiting list hah

skibb said:
Please let me know!!!

I can send you out a bottle of my Single Hop: Mosaic (C2) when I send Dmitri (BKYeast) his. I bottled it last week, so I plan on shipping two weeks.

Let me know...always open to a beer trade.

I appreciate it, though someone is already helping me get some c2 - I would totally be willing to trade anyone for some C3 at this point. I've considered sending dimitri a box of sterile vials at this point hah

skibb said:
I appreciate it, though someone is already helping me get some c2 - I would totally be willing to trade anyone for some C3 at this point. I've considered sending dimitri a box of sterile vials at this point hah

I just got C3 in the mail today.

Sorry to hijack.

Cheers

Loosely related to that beer in that I loved it and found it inspiring, but I was not thinking about it when I designed this recipe. Like someone else mentioned, Anchorage's beer is not an all-brett, and mine was not a single hop beer.

Mine turned out great, more tart than I expected, big complex fruity citrus and melon and hay and lots of wheat in the background. I would reduce the amount of wheat in my recipe next time. There's also a slightly unpleasant floral, almost grassy element to the bitterness, which I think came from dry-hopping for two weeks, not from the yeast.

vehicle said:
Loosely related to that beer in that I loved it and found it inspiring, but I was not thinking about it when I designed this recipe. Like someone else mentioned, Anchorage's beer is not an all-brett, and mine was not a single hop beer.

Mine turned out great, more tart than I expected, big complex fruity citrus and melon and hay and lots of wheat in the background. I would reduce the amount of wheat in my recipe next time. There's also a slightly unpleasant floral, almost grassy element to the bitterness, which I think came from dry-hopping for two weeks, not from the yeast.

Still sounds tasty, I wish my iris inspired would finish out so I could bottle it, it smells insanely good with a citra hop dry hop.

I'm bottling my iris inspired tonight, I checked the gravity this morning and its at 1.002. The aroma is insane, some cantillon, fresh flowers, fresh cut citrus fruit. Ill be shooting for 1.5-2 vols of CO2. Ill post a pic or two tonight.

kaips1 said:
i'm bottling my iris inspired tonight, i checked the gravity this morning and its at 1.002. The aroma is insane, some cantillon, fresh flowers, fresh cut citrus fruit. Ill be shooting for 1.5-2 vols of co2. Ill post a pic or two tonight.

image-633414003.jpg

I made a simple wort on 7/4/2013 and split half with C3 and half with some repitched Roselare. The C3 version has been stuck at about 1.020 for about six weeks. Anyone have any ideas or should i, as they say "let it ride".

Pilsner Malt 6.25 lb 58 %
White Wheat 4.0 lb 37 %
Maltodextrine 8.0 oz 4 %

Aged Willamette 2.0 oz 60min

I have a blend of C1, 2 and 3 I got from a friend. I did a big 4L starter for 3 days until krausen dropped. I was planning on another 3 day, 2L starter and pitching into a single hopped Calypso IPA (Maris mostly with a dash of C-40 and Carapils). Does that sound like enough steps? I'm not real sure of cell count but I had about a third of a pint jar of slurry maybe half yeast, when I began. Is there any way I can tell by volume a rough cell count?

In my experience of using brett by making step starters without a stir plate and just guessing at the cell count, underpitching can produce some pretty nasty off flavors (burning plastic, smoking electrical wiring). Your big 4L starter with another 2L added sounds like good volume, but I might throw in one more step just to give it some additional time to adjust to all that starter wort and get up to full count since you didn't start with all that much slurry. I would rather overpitch than underpitch with brett.

vehicle said:
In my experience of using brett by making step starters without a stir plate and just guessing at the cell count, underpitching can produce some pretty nasty off flavors (burning plastic, smoking electrical wiring). Your big 4L starter with another 2L added sounds like good volume, but I might throw in one more step just to give it some additional time to adjust to all that starter wort and get up to full count since you didn't start with all that much slurry. I would rather overpitch than underpitch with brett.

Thanks. As it worked out, I will do just that. I was gonna brew with it this weekend but got rained out. I will do a Calypso IPA with it next weekend after one more step.

i tasted my c2 brew the other day after 6 months from brew day. the recipe wasnt fortified with adjuncts and i didnt mash at high temps, its built more like a brett ipa. It tastes and smells like lambic lite. I cant wait to try it on a hot day when summer comes. I plan to use it as a solo yeast again but with a more lambic like malt bill.

Planning on tasting my c3 tonight. The malt bill was a lambic that I split off 2.5 gallons to pitch 100% Brett so it should be a pretty yeast driven flavor profile. Bottled with Belgian Candi Syrup. I'll post results tomorrow.

I finished mine and am a bit underwhelmed. I'm not sure if it is the yeast or the hops (first brew with Calypso) but it was earthier than I had hoped. I don't think pitching rate was an issue, it took off like a rocket and attenuated down to 1.01. It just didn't turn out like i hoped. Not bad or anything but not great either. Back to WLP Trois!

Just bottled an American Wheat/Rye fermented with C3. The brett character combined with dry hops (ahtanum and motueka) to produce a complex, mango forward tropical aroma with underlying funk. These are really interesting yeasts.

I have two growlers that I propagated 3 years ago and are just sitting there. Coming to PA anytime soon?

Back