Screwed up my second batch - Possible Fix?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DAM

Reaction score
Hello.

Well, I'm new at this, since this is only my second batch (and I'm posting in the beginners forum). I made what I hope is a minor mistake with a second batch, and would like advice on my proposed fix.

I brewed up a Porter using a Midwest kit--6 Lbs. dark liquid malt extract, 8 oz. Carapils, 8 oz. Black malt specialty grains, 1 oz. Willamette pellet bittering hops, 1 oz. Fuggle pellet hops--using a full boil. Ignoring the adage, "When you multitask you aren't focused", I tried balancing another project (in the house), with brewing the beer (in the garage). The result? After brewing and closing up the cooled wort in the fermenter I realized I had forgotten the Fuggle hops during the last 5 minutes of the boil. I figure I can correct this by dry hopping near the end of the secondary fermentation.

My question, is the dry hopping a good way to salvage the situation? And, do I want to use the full 1 oz, or maybe only 1/2 oz Fuggle hops?

Thanks!

Dry hopping will only impart more "nose" to the hops aroma. You're beer migh have a tad less bitterness... but since they were a late addition and a low AA hop... you probably won't really notice.

But I would use them all, and dry hop as well. Just make sure you wait until fermentation is finished, and dry hop for at leat 5 days.

Gary

Back