WANTED: Your expert advise on a Saison Recipe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brickwalker

Reaction score
Any help on the recipe below would be fantastic. I've already bought the grain so I'm more or less looking for help with the hops and/or other flavorings. I am using the yeast from boulevard smokestack series Tank 7 Farmhouse ale dregs.
My lhbs-guy said that he thought sorachi-ace and citra would play well in a saison, and I've been wanting to try sorachi ace. I've done some reading on HBT and it seems that less is more when it comes to sorachi ace for flavoring/bittering. I've also got a bunch of simcoe, amarillo, and other various american IPA-type hops that I could use if someone thinks they would be a better fit.

Oh ya, I stole the grain bill from here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f71/nelson-sauvin-dry-hopped-saison-229126/ (sorry Homebrewtastic).

Have a look and any advice would be great. THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: Saison
Boil Time: 90 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons
Boil Size: 7 gallons
Efficiency: 70%

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.057
Final Gravity: 1.011
ABV (standard): 6.02%
IBU (tinseth): 29.53
SRM (morey): 6.57

FERMENTABLES:
5 lb - Pilsner (44.4%)
3 lb - Pale 2-Row (26.7%)
2 lb - White Wheat (17.8%)
1 lb - Cane Sugar (8.9%)
0.25 lb - Special B (2.2%)

HOPS:
0.3 oz - Summit (AA 15) for 60 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil
0.35 oz - Citra (AA 11) for 10 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil
0.25 oz - Sorachi Ace (AA 11.1) for 10 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil
0.35 oz - Citra (AA 11) for 5 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil
0.25 oz - Sorachi Ace (AA 11.1) for 5 min, Type: Leaf/Whole, Use: Boil

YEAST:
Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale dregs (boulevard smokestack series)

I have a sorachi ace/citra saison on tap right now! I can remember exactly how much I used of each. I think I used them in roughly equal amounts. I'm very pleased with the result. Next time I think I'll add a touch more citra at the end. I can recall for sure but I suspect my aroma addition was probably at most 1/2 oz of both S.A. and Citra combined.

I don't see anything wrong with the recipe. I guess the question is more what you want it to taste like. You can dump almost anything into a saison.

Looks pretty solid. I second the late addition of citra. I have used brown sugar and candi sugar in saisons past, but I imagine you'll have equally great results with cane sugar.

IIRC all Smokestack series beers are bottled with champagne yeast. Culturing the dregs won't net you the primary strain. Apparently they use an abbey yeast strain in Tank 7 from what I've read, but I'm sure you can have pretty good success using a blend of a few different commercially available strains. 3711 is a good one to start with, it's less finicky than 3724, and it's pretty good when paired with 3522 and 3944 (in my experience at least).

Thanks phenry. I made a starter with the dregs, sounds like that was a waste of time. I think I'll go with 3711 on its own.

How did this turn out? I just got a four-pack of Tank 7 and had planned to yeast harvest... bad idea?

It tasted great when I sampled it at bottling, but I just bottled it so I'm not sure yet. I ended up using wyeast 3711, and dumping the tank 7 dregs because someone told me it was champagne yeast.

Back