Need help!! Not a true boil....what's the worst that can happen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanadianQuaffer

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Doing my first real AG on the stove today because it's way too cold to use my propane burner.

Problem is my stove, even on two burners, can't get the 6.5 gallons of wort to a true boil. The water is moving and it's sitting at ~206F.

I know that's enough for sterilization, but is it enough to get proper hop oil utilization and hot break separation?
Anything?

Thanks!

Nick

Ottawa Ontario is 374 feet above sea level, so...boiling is still probably around 212°...

Well...good luck. It might turn out okay. It probably won't turn out to be an excellent beer, but it might turn out okay.

Look into making an electric heat stick for next time.

Maybe take the wort and separate it into two smaller pots?

IMO you run the risk of having DMS and not killing off all the bacteria. Did that happen? IDK

If you have the ability why not split the batch into 2 pots, each on their own burner. That is what I do when I brew inside on the stove because I do not own a large enough pot for my stove top.

The other suggestion is to build a heat stick.

Worst that CAN happen, the universe could end... although pretty statistically unlikely.... :mug:

As for sterilization? that's over rated by the home brewer - you need 20 mins at 250F to sterilize a product. And that isn't a 99.999% bacteria killed it is supposed to be 100%.. . the typical Homebrewer needs above 150F for atleast 20 mins to kill of the majority (>>99.9%) of the undesirables and then adds his yeast. Upshot - I wouldn't worry about the sanatation of your wort.

The DMS might be a problem.

Hot break shouldn't be a problem. Hop oil extraction, either, that works at room temperature. You'll have a little less bittering, as the the isomerization process is very dependent on temperature. Not enough to push you out of style.

DMS would be the biggest concern. Cooking it for an extra 30 minutes would take care of DMS and bittering. Flavor and aroma adds would stay the same.

ok, I just said "f**k it!" and put it on the propane burner in my garage with the doors open. It's cold outside but at least my wort has been at a full boil for the last 45 minutes.

Thanks guys!

Nick

i usually keep my lid on until it reaches a good rolling boil and then take it off for the rest, usually maintains. (just have to really monitor it for a boil over)

Ramitt said:
i think odds are greater his beer starts the zombie apocalypse

WAIT!!! It's 2012... Isn't this the year the world ends? What if it's all his beer's fault?!

OK, so I had it going on a full rolling boil for about 50 minutes and a gentles boil for 20 or so...you figure I'm ok with the DMS?

SG was 1.062...I was shooting for 1.052 but I got 81% efficiency when I was planning for 75% and I didn't account for how much wort would be absorbed by my whole hop cones as opposed to hop pellets...or does that not make a difference? Anyway I ended up with 5.25 gallons after the boil so I lost more to evaporation than I had planned as well and only just under 5 made it into the fermentor...maybe it was due to the longer boil as well?

Anyway, if this beer DOES cause the end of the world as Piratwolf suggested, at least I'll have some 6% abv APA to melt my worries away, lol.

Anyway, if this beer DOES cause the end of the world as Piratwolf suggested, at least I'll have some 6% abv APA to melt my worries away, lol.

It's good to have a plan, and a shotgun.
Break%20Glass.jpg

Back