Propane tank filled, now it won't work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoatFarmersInternational

Reaction score
I'm sorry if this is a stupid problem, but I've always used charcoal for the BBQ and only recently started using propane for brewing and so I don't really know anything about using it.

Here is the problem: I just had my tank refilled, and now when I attach it to my turkey fryer and open both of the valves (like normal), no gas comes out...

I am wondering if maybe I accidentally tripped some safety feature? Or maybe it has something to do with the little valve that the guy who filled it turns with a screwdriver - did he forget to turn it back to where it is supposed to be or turn it to the wrong place or something? I don't even know what that valve is for, or even if it is a valve.

Sorry to be such a propane noob, any help is greatly appreciated (especially because I am planning on brewing this afternoon!).

Thanks in advance

Make sure that the valve on the fryer is CLOSED before opening the tank. That's all I can think of.

well, I guess I figured it out... I tightened that side valve thing with a screwdriver and hooked things back up and now it is working. So I guess that was the problem (?)

Thanks, and hopefully I won't run into the same issue when I go to heat my sparge water.

Can you post a picture of your tank/valve and in hopes that it might help the next person searching for this?

Its Friday, your tank is full, enjoy a homebrew and make some more!:mug:

Propane%20tank.jpg

Here is the picture (the really small red writing says "all the way closed"

So, if indeed that was the problem, this is how it is fixed: The little valve thing was tightened with a screwdriver.

If anybody else ever has this same problem, I hope that this helps, and I hope that knowing that I, too, am an idiot also helps.
And thanks FlyGuy and Harv for the responses. I lift my glass of homebrew to you.

:mug:

So, that little valve (or whatever) thing may not have actually been the problem, because it wouldn't start (at first) when I started to heat my sparge water just moments ago. I did manage to get going after unhooking my turkey fryer and then hooking it up again, though. I am wondering if I may have accidentally tripped a safety feature? I am using it outside, and it is only partially shaded (I have no idea if a hot ambient temperature makes any difference, I just thought that I would mention it. Oh, and I think that I do follow the correct procedure for opening/closing the valves - the propane tank is the first on and off).

So I am still a little puzzled, but at least everything is working (for now)

You might not have had it screwed on tight enough. Some of them have a safety in the valve which won't let propane out unless it is attached to a hose.

Here is the trick I learned. It seems to work more often with the type of supply hose where the regulator is at non-tank end of the hose. Make sure the valve on the hose is shut. Attach the assembly to the tank and open the valve ONLY on the tank. NOW WAIT for a minute, good time for a sip of beer. After your sip or two of beer, NOW open the tubing valve and the gas should flow. If still a no go, turn off the tank, open the valve at the other end to bleed any gas out. Undo do everthing, close the valve, reassemble and try again, this time have a few more sips of beer before tyring to light.

I had an outdoor cooker that I originally bought for outdoor wokery cooking and large paella making that was always giving me just this kind of fits. Eventually I read on the web the above tip from someone who had a similar stove. This person said that it had something to do with letting the pressure in the supply hose equilibrate before opening the valve.

I don't have this problem with my turkey fryer where the regulator is at the end that attaches to the tank like this - at least I haven't run into it yet.
bc5hpr_high_pressure_propane_kit.jpg

carnevoodoo said:
You might not have had it screwed on tight enough. Some of them have a safety in the valve which won't let propane out unless it is attached to a hose.

The thought had crossed my mind, except that between heating water for the mash (after I got it to work) and heating water for the sparge (when it stopped working again for a moment) I didn't touch the whole setup.

At any rate, it's boiling now, so all is well that ends well. Until next time, at least.

I have this problem from time to time, it seems to have to do with the safety device in the tank valve that shuts down the flow of gas if there is a leak (such as a hose rupture). The tank seems to detect a leak and won't let gas flow. This is why you turn on the tank before turning on the other valve. Sometimes it just takes messing with turning the tank valve and hose valve off and on a couple of times.

pjj2ba said:
Here is the trick I learned. It seems to work more often with the type of supply hose where the regulator is at non-tank end of the hose. Make sure the valve on the hose is shut. Attach the assembly to the tank and open the valve ONLY on the tank. NOW WAIT for a minute, good time for a sip of beer. After your sip or two of beer, NOW open the tubing valve and the gas should flow. If still a no go, turn off the tank, open the valve at the other end to bleed any gas out. Undo do everthing, close the valve, reassemble and try again, this time have a few more sips of beer before tyring to light.

Hmm, that is interesting. I'll be doing that from now on out, hopefully that'll be all I need to do.

Henry Hill said:

did you try http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/equilibrate ?

;)

Edit: and if you are looking for fun vocabulary words, you should look up catamite. I love that word, because if somebody p!sses you off, you can call them a catamite to their face, and if you say it in a nice tone, they'll think that you are giving them a complement or something.
(example)
"Say, what are you, Prof. Harper's catamite or something?"
oh, and dictionary.com's definition on this one is pretty bland, nothing like the OED if I recall...

I have a wonky Rhino tank that doesn't like to dispense propane because of the stupid safety feature. Here's what I do to get it to work correctly: unhook yonder hose, bang it on the ground once robustly, then faine to hook the tanke back up to dispenfer hose and turne the gas on slowley.

The valve has a ball check valve inside it.....if your regulator is turned up and you just open the valve on the tank it pushes that ball up and blocks the flow. (Safty Feature incase your hose blows on the tank side of the regulator)
If this happens turn bottle off, back the regulator all the way down then open the tank back up, and adjust the regulator back down again until you hear the flow of gas coming out.......

Dirt dobbers love to build nest in hoses and stuff too keep them wrapped with tape or hooked up if stored outside

Ya, Mud dobbers, Thats what I have always called them, Seems like they love to build nest in my burner assembly and inside my hose. They are a pain sometimes.

This is the second propane tank from COSTCO to exhibit this problem...FLAME KING MAX brand. First one couldn't be open to be filled, so I returned it. This was working fine until grill serviceman tightened it and now it's locked! when the top valve is tightened to the right to shut off the tank, it appears to have locked up-- I can't get it opened again with strongman neighbor helping! What could be happening? It's as if there is a lock setting or something-- called company naturally they never had of the problem-- suggest I return to Costco for a new one ( empty of course)-- there is some screw holding the handle- and of corse the side pressure release screw-- can't figure out what else to use - except to let noisy teenager band on it with sledgehammer!

Ive had the same problem on my grill. Open the valve on the tank, then start the grill on LOW. If started on high, the safty vale is tripped because it thinks there is a leak.

Back