What grain(s) for steeping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCall St. Brewer

Reaction score
Okay, I tried this in the Recipes section, but got no response, so (being stubborn as I always am) I guess I'll try it here, too. Anyway, I'm trying to put together a batch from some things I have on hand, and here is what I have:

6 lb. light malt extract
1 lb. dry malt extract
Some hallertau hops (I think about 2 oz.)
White Labs Bavarian Lager Yeast

I'd like to get some grains to steep with this, though. Any suggestions?

mmditter said:
6 lb. light malt extract
1 lb. dry malt extract
Some hallertau hops (I think about 2 oz.)
White Labs Bavarian Lager Yeast

I'd like to get some grains to steep with this, though. Any suggestions?

What you've got is a good "base" for any of an infinite number of beers.

Try adding about a 1/2 lb crystal malt, 1/4 lb carared and some roasted barley for a nice Irish Red (if that appeals at all)

I'd like to keep it sort of a Bavarian or Munich style beer. It's really cold in my basement this winter, so I need to make beers with yeast that like cold. I can almost lager my beers down there. I don't have any grain on hand-- I'm going to go and buy some.

mmditter said:
I'd like to keep it sort of a Bavarian or Munich style beer. It's really cold in my basement this winter, so I need to make beers with yeast that like cold. I can almost lager my beers down there. I don't have any grain on hand-- I'm going to go and buy some.

Then I'd use Munich and little bit of Aromatic malts.

You don't really want to steep Munich, it needs to be mashed. There are some good threads around here on mini-mashing (Fiery Sword wrote up a good description yesterday). It's not hard at all, but if you just steep, you'll end up with a boadload of unconverted starch in the beer.

the_bird said:
You don't really want to steep Munich, it needs to be mashed. There are some good threads around here on mini-mashing (Fiery Sword wrote up a good description yesterday). It's not hard at all, but if you just steep, you'll end up with a boadload of unconverted starch in the beer.

Interesting, Even if you steep @150? I should find this thread.

:mug: Just wanted to bump this thread as a "Shout-Out" to Fiery Sword....he made a great how-to for PM's...Thanks!!! :mug:

Back